How do I play this?

What's Hot
OK so this might be really simple, but I've always struggled. If you watch this video and skip to 1:55 there is a lead solo which runs for approx 15 seconds ending in a sort of scale part running up the neck. Is there a name for the type of lick? How do I play it? Can anyone point me to some TAB which would show me as whenever I try I can't quite figure it out.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

I don't know if there's a name for it but it's basically going up the B major scale, alternating between the G and the E strings.

Start by sliding up to the 8th fret on the G string (D#, the 3rd of Bmaj scale) with your 2nd finger, then hit the 7th fret of the E string (B, root note), skipping the B string. Now slide your 2nd finger up to the next note in the Bmaj scale on the G string (E), and hit the next note in the Bmaj scale on the E string (C#), and so on and so forth all the way up the scale on both strings. Your 2nd finger will always be on the G string, but you will be alternating between the 1st and 3rd finger on the E string.

There are 7 slide-ups in total (including the first one), finishing on the 18th fret for both G and E strings. After that there's a little lick where he slides up to the 18th again on G, hits 19th on B string and then bends the 22nd fret on B string up 1 tone, then finishing on the 19th B string again.

If I were to give a name to this I'd probably call it "sliding 3rds" or something :)

• It's a pretty common technique in country music and is also seen in blues and rock on occasions. He is picking a note on the G string and sliding up to another, then picking a note on the E string. Then repeating it as he goes higher up the neck. He plays it with the pick, but a lot of guys would hybrid pick that (pick the G string notes, and middle finger for the E string ones). Easier to show someone than explain.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10477
    edited October 2015

The little trick is a slide up double stop using d# on the G string and B on the E string then E on the G string and C# on the E and land on F# on the G string and D# on the E string

................. ..................................................
    ..7 slide 8....slide.....9....slide.........11.............

Hope that helps

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Hahaha! Beat me to it! You might as well have it now though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    edited October 2015
    It's sliding 6ths. It's a great way of adding movement and harmony to a solo line. You just need to be careful to harmonize correctly either a 6th or b6th

It's also a super common blues turnaround lick.

The 9 8 7 are Major 6ths, then the last 3 notes goes from a major 6th to a minor 6th due to the very bluesy sounding hammer on. Harmonically to the chord, it's changing a minor 3rd tone to a major 3rd tone (chord change is Am to A)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Steve Cropper, famously on Soul Man, is who I think of for sliding sixths.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks so much! Really appreciate that. I know it's common in many styles but I'm never great at taking something like that and breaking it down. I'll give it a go tonight
  • vizviz Frets: 10740
    Vai does it in Juice at 0:50.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.