The mini pedalboard box project

What's Hot
Have been thinking about doing this for a while, ever since i bought an old wooden medical box.  Plan is to use the lid for pedals and to kit it out with all the bits needed to make it sturdy.  When it is done it should have enough room to house five pedals which given i only have two that i use at the moment is plenty of options for future purchases and a reminder at setting limits ;)

So far i have taken all the original hardware off, sanded off the varnish and applied cocktail sticks mixed with woodglue and sandings to fill in the screw holes...

Next job, trim sticks, sand, drill holes for new hardware and prime...

Yeah i know this is not as exciting as a guitar build and i could buy one cheaper but that is the fun of building your own things :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Looking forward to this. I fancy doing the same but not sure where to start

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Am figuring this is going to be a rather drawn out affair... mainly because there are not enough hours in the day...

However i have a). The bits and b). A plan ;)

a). The bits....

b). A bit more sanding required for the board itself, which has had some epoxy added to smooth out the dents in the wood.  Then i will prime it before adding a couple of coats of mint green to it.  The exterior will be primed and decoupaged with black and white images before coating and finishing with hardware.  I did think about doing a Holeyboard and drilling holes into the board however this site made me think again... I may still drill a few holes or a channel for power which i will conceal under the angled board.
    Little progress made though it took a can of primer to do it...

Three coats in all for both sides and i still have the box to do!

Am rather pleased with drilling a 22mm hole into the plywood for power cabling with no blowout... amazing what a pilot hole, masking tape and another block of wood can do :D

Next coat will be Mint Green....

Another day another update...

Majority of priming now done, just the top side left to do before a light sand and a few coats of mint green for the interior.

Have noticed the difference in finish on both primers with the two box halves being done in rust-oleum and the board in hycote with the rust-oleum going on easier and the tin lasting far longer.  Sorry about the picture blurriness though it should give you an idea on what has been progressed so far.

Ah... another day another update.  Priming finished and so i think is the top coat "Mint Green" double acrylic.  It is fairly close if not the same colour as Seafoam Green which pleases me greatly.  The lid and box are two coats thick with the pedal board having three coats due to milking in the previous finish.  The board is actually rather glossy compared to the box and shows the underlying imperfections of the board.  That said the board is going to have pedals on it so i am not that bothered.

I was thinking that they next step would be decoupage however first i am going to have to drill the holes for the handle (partially through as they will house screws) and the rubber feet (which will be bolts due to the board being 5mm thick).

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom