routing a humbucker cavity

What's Hot
How does one do it? I'm thinking that it will be a problem cutting tight corners. All my router bits with bearings look like they will be too big a diameter to get in to the corners?

Drill the corners first with a drill bit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Forstner bits might help. It's not a bad idea to remove as much wood as you can before routing. If a drill is all you have, go for it, but it might not look all that tidy.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    a 1/2" wide router bit will be  fine for most pickup routes with normal covers/rings, although if you are going for direct mount it is worth making a tighter fitting template and thinking about this more.

TBH I am surprised this question isn't in the neck pocket route thread you just started, because the corners of a tele neck pocket are too small to do with a 1/2" router bit

options:

*drill corners before routing
    *buy a smaller router bit

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Probably worth investing in a smaller diameter router bit, Im glad you are askong all your questions, its all stuff Im curious about....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

also, take a look at something like a carvin

its not the prettiest pickup route, but it works just as well as a normal one if you are using a ring.   there is no need to do it this way, but i hope its a reassuring pic
    you also have lazy options on the neck pocket like these fenders

structurally its fine, but obviously it would look shit if you didn't have a fretboard overhang and/or scratchplate
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    I use a 1/4" router bit and a plain template follower, with a plywood template clamped to the guitar. That gives neat results with nice 'square'-looking corners, pretty much the same as Gibson/PRS routs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    WezV said:
    a 1/2" wide router bit will be  fine for most pickup routes with normal covers/rings, although if you are going for direct mount it is worth making a tighter fitting template and thinking about this more.

TBH I am surprised this question isn't in the neck pocket route thread you just started, because the corners of a tele neck pocket are too small to do with a 1/2" router bit

options:

*drill corners before routing
    *buy a smaller router bit

I was planning on doing this shape, with the small endsimage

I have to admit that I haven't seen a smaller router bit with a bearing?
    Neck no problem as I'm fitting a p90.

As it happens, I'm being a doofus here! I will be using a pickup ring to cover the edges so I'm quite happy just routing out by eye with a smaller bit, which is what I did on my Angel tele.

Thanks people, problem solved
    Yuck to those Fender pockets!
    That's the shape I use for all my humbucker routes and I do usually just do it with a 1/2" router and it works fine.

If you go bang on Gibson dimensions it wouldn't work, but the tab section on my templates is usually a bit longer.

I wouldn't free hand it, just think about whether you are using a ring or not and make a template that suits the tools you already have

here are some routes, all done with a 1/2" bit - they all fit pickups with or without covers without modification

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok thanks @WezV