Anyone playing a Carol Ann Amp?

What's Hot
Hey folks

As the title suggests, I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of playing through a Carol Ann amp. Any models, really, but I'm particularly interested in the "R" series (OD2R, etc) as they probably carry all the headroom and power that I need.

I'm a classic rock and blues player with a variety of dual-humbucker guitars gigging small pubs and clubs. I have a couple of amp options at the moment, and I'm not disappointed with any of them but (once again) I find myself drawn to an amp that offers quality clean and dirt channels and can take (or, provide) a boost for lead work.

Awaiting the next batch of CA amps at Peach, and it's a long way to go for me - so would welcome folks' input.

Thanks in advance . . .

Dave :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    @dunstanmus Also there was one in the classifieds recently, a Triptik.
  • I'm sure @pete24v could give you an insight to Carol Ann amps. He owns the satin I believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Extremely well built with good support. Totally maintain the tone when turned up. Cuts through in the mix. Takes pedals better than any other amp I own. A guy called Fusion Bear Rig Talk and TGP has done some good demo's. I totally trust what he says as he totally knows his tone.

You just won't be disappointed.
  • Deijavoo said: @dunstanmus Also there was one in the classifieds recently, a Triptik.
    Thanks, I did see that and was tempted. However, a full-blown 50w is probably way too much for me. Although, that's without personally knowing how effective the MV on these amps are.

Also, The "r" range is cathode-biased - a little more idiot-friendly, and readily offers some me some power tube flexibility :)
  • Extremely well built with good support. Totally maintain the tone when turned up. Cuts through in the mix. Takes pedals better than any other amp I own. A guy called Fusion Bear Rig Talk and TGP has done some good demo's. I totally trust what he says as he totally knows his tone.

Thanks, great to hear from someone who plays one. May I ask which model(s) and speaker combinations you're running, please? Any recordings of you and the amp in action?
  • The r's are loud. I don't play particularly loud - the MV is good.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have the 50w Satin. It's silly good.. Best clean tone I've ever come across, never gets flabby, such a rich tone.

Mine is just a clean amp, I've not managed to get it to distort, which is great..

I've not even looked at another amp since owning this, in fact I've been selling most of my others.

Thanks, great to hear from someone who plays one. May I ask which model(s) and speaker combinations you're running, please? Any recordings of you and the amp in action?
    I have the 10th Anniversary and run it with H75's in a CA 2x12. I am going to get a boogie 1x12 loaded with an EV too for smaller venues. I will find a clip and try and put it on here later.They are all the same flavour. I started with the Triptik which is awesome.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I run mine either into a Matamp 2x12 with EVM12L's, or a Matamp 1x12 with a WGS 12L, tried a few others, but they suit the sound i'm after.
  • Thanks for the comments, guys - very much appreciated.

@dunstanmus - look forward to the clips very much.

Additional comments most welcome, particularly from others with "R" series experience  . . .
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Powerslave - have you managed to check out any Carol Anns in the last few months?

R series are excellent options for live and / or studio use
  • PowerslavePowerslave Frets: 98
    @Chester . . .

Hi . . . No, still yet to try one in person.

I've had a lot of success recently gigging my 65 "Empire".

However, the CA itch still remains - would love to try one in person, but the hike to Peach puts me off. Also, I have a Marshall 74x and extension cab up for sale at the moment and I've told myself they've got to go first before any new gear arrives!

Are you playing CA amps?

Thanks ... :)
    I know how the one in one out rules feels mate - divorce would quickly follow more gear showing up here!

Yep - I've got a Trip / OD3 / Tuc 3 (all R series). Where are you based?
    @Powerslave - pm sent
  • I went to Chicago to buy a Two rock years ago and made the mistake of playing a od2.. Fantastic amp, didn't buy either and spent all the cash :(
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom