Anyone know anything about audio monitors?

ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
I'm looking to replace the stereo/speaker setup in the office (which is used for playing mac through) for a set of Monitors..... but truth be told i know nothing about them. they don't seem to have many inputs and i need to connect the MAC, several other inputs and another optional system by SPDIF or some such connection.

do i need a mixer interface for all the inputs?

what monitors are best for home use?
am i better sticking with my stereo rig?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

You'd need a mixer, audio interface or monitor matrix to do what you need to do there, yes.

For everything but the S-PDIF something like the Samson C-Control or Mackie Big Knob would do you lovely, but there's not many mixers or 'pro-sumer' level monitor matrixes that have inbuilt D/A convertors for the S-PDIF. If the digital input's a must you might do better with an audio interface like the Focusrite Saffire or M-Audio 410 which would allow you to have everything hooked up in one place under one volume control; I'm 99% having owned one that the 410 will operate as a basic mixer even if the computer's switched off, can't be sure on the Saffire.

Oh, and if the monitors you're looking at include something in the size range of Fostex's 0.4PM or Prodipe's Pro 5 Ribbons drop me a PM, got a pair of each for sale ;)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited October 2015

a bunch of us in here are using Yamaha HS5 or HS7 active monitors. I use HS7.

they are excellent value for money and in my opinion pretty much the best you'll get in this price range. To get monitoring that is noticeably better, I reckon you'll have to part with significantly more dosh..

if you have an audio interface like a Saffire or a TC Electronics Konnekt 24 etc,[lots to choose from].. the monitors will jack into Audio Interface outputs 1 / 2

play every note as if it were your first
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    HS7,s here too...just dandy

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    hmmm, so Hs7's look the biz.... now to work out what audio interface i need
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've got the Focal Alpha 65's. They're AMAZING... and cheap for the level of quality you get too. My old Tannoy's used to give me ear fatigue. These don't. At all. I can mix and record a whole day on them without any issues.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I've got the Focal Alpha 65's. They're AMAZING... and cheap for the level of quality you get too. My old Tannoy's used to give me ear fatigue. These don't. At all. I can mix and record a whole day on them without any issues.

do you use a mixer or in/out
    ThorpyFX said:
    Drew_fx said:

do you use a mixer or in/out
    MOTU 8Pre audio interface. I don't use a mixer, I just plug straight into the card.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    Best value compact monitors that could sit on a PC desk?
  • Essential to have a pair yes?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    What about rokit monitors? Just looking at GG website to see what they've got.
    You can get a pair for close to £100 but I don't know what's good and what's not.
    tFB Trader
    i think a pair is essential unless you mix in mono. For me i think the mixer is the key thing...... rokits look nice though
  • What about heaphones - closed or open back? What's a decent pair not costing a million quid?
    tFB Trader
    What about heaphones - closed or open back? What's a decent pair not costing a million quid?
    sure do some nice audio monitors costing about £80

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    You can get a pair for close to £100 but I don't know what's good and what's not.
    Be careful as most active monitors are sold as singles - can't see an KRK Rokits for £100 a pair? May be wrong.

Btw, I have some nice Alesis monitors and a Tascam USB interface for sale in th Misc section if it suits anyone needs.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Another vote for the Focal Alpha 65s here - I'm using them with an SPL Crimson interface which has a good rep as a monitor controller and <may>  have enough connectivity including SPDIF.  As for headphones, I like the AKG  K550s, they're not too hyped bass-wise. It all depends on your budget though.

Ideally you'd go to a shop and listen to a bunch. You might find a £100 pair of speakers for you are way better than £1000 Focals!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    It also depends on the type of music you are making, when I bought my APS Aeon's, the reason the seller was moving them on was that they were a bit "bass light" for the EDM he was making, for my requirements however, they were spot on, so I'd advise trying as many as possible. Don't think all audio interfaces sound the same, only differing in facilities, form or I/O options, the D/A converters vary a lot, indeed it surprised me by being far more noticeable than I'd imagined
  • IanSavage said:

For everything but the S-PDIF something like the Samson C-Control or Mackie Big Knob would do you lovely, but there's not many mixers or 'pro-sumer' level monitor matrixes that have inbuilt D/A convertors for the S-PDIF.

No, not many but the TC BMC-2 monitor controller will do it. 

If you scout around on eBay, you can frequently pick these up for around £100. I owned one before buying my SPL Crimson, used the BMC-2 as an outboard D/A and monitor controller rather than going direct out from my ancient M-Audio soundcard. Massive improvement over the soundcard. 

• What about heaphones - closed or open back? What's a decent pair not costing a million quid?
    I have two different pairs. Audio Technica M50X which were about £100 I think and a pair of Sony MDR-V6 that were around £50. The M50X are better for both casual listening and recording, the Sonys are much flatter and so get used more for computer stuff. 

• Thanks, guys !