Redwirez & Other Impulse Users.

OK, long story short - I was chatting with @Drew_fx about how I was looking for a silent recording solution or the option more specifically.  I realised looking back as some old recordings that in busier mixes my old POD HD (prior to ditching all modelling) didn't sound bad at all.  However I now have the amps that I absolutely love and to fund something like an Axe FX or Kemper would mean outing them - which I'm seeing as a backwards step.  My main reason for wanting the ability to record in silence is a.) Laying down ideas late at night and b.) Most importantly whilst making noise isn't an issue, this week one of the kids was off sick and it means I can be more productive without worrying about them ruining takes with loud cries of "DAAADDDDD!".  This mean the times they are around can be focussed on vocals and acoustic instruments etc.

The solution I thought of was the Two Note Reload.  As usual with most demoes in the world of YouTube if you want to know how something handles metal tonez then you in luck.  I thought before shelling out £500 I'd run an experiment with Redwirez impulses which I've had for a few years but never really used.  So I hooked up a load box and did some recordings.  I started with some heavy sounds and the impulses were run in Altiverb 6.  It all sound pretty cool and acceptable.  However as I reduced the gain I noticed more and more that the signal has more distortion than the micced version without any obvious clipping occurring.  As a result clean sounds sounded much more like a weedy solid state practice amp that warm valvey goodness.

I'm going to try some more today, but has anyone got any good, clean, punchy and fat sounds with Redwirez or other impulses?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Ownhammer IRs are worth looking at
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks @Roland I'm going to check them out.  I had a brief look at their site yesterday and I didn't know if I was missing anything but it seems very limited (not necessarily a bad thing though).
  • Thanks @Roland I'm going to check them out.  I had a brief look at their site yesterday and I didn't know if I was missing anything but it seems very limited (not necessarily a bad thing though).

There seems to be a change in the way the store works, you can only seem to see the newer packs on the front page.  The old legacy stuff is here, and there are loads.  http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=104

I'm not familiar with any of the legacy stuff though so I can't advise on what would be useful for cleans.
  • Yeah their sight is strangely laid out. 

Just spent another hour of experimenting and rebalancing every level and getting much, much better results.  Comparing the Redwirez vs real there is very little in it.  If any thing the real one is slight brighter in the top end which translates to fizz most of the time but is easily eq-able either way.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A much cheaper alternative to the torpedo is the AMT CP-100 just got one and it's really good, Regarding impulses, I wish there were some with a small selection of good ones rather that 20 mics in 50 positions the Redwirez ones have far too much choice for my liking and half of them are awful. I'd like to see a set with a few cabs each with a 57 in a couple of positions.
  • @John_A - Sorry to ask a couple questions I probably find out by searching Google but can you load any impulses onto the AMT?  How useful is the EQ?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @randomhanclaps. As I said I've only just got it, just dropped a selection of my favourite impulses on there and ran it through my monitors, haven't messed with the EQ yet. As far as I know you can load any 99 impulses on there but there's only 4mb available so 99 big 96khz impulses might not fit