Shergold Modulator Restoration!!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    It's got to be greenburst. It's such a classic Shergold colour and it will hide the edge of the veneer perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    It's not often @ICBM and I agree ;-) but we do here...

I've made the decision to have it painted by @lamf68 - I could have had a go myself but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have done it as well as I'd like... I've invested many hours in this and I want it *right*.

Not an easy choice, as I like doing things myself!

So I'm getting it off to South Wales shortly to join the que at lamf towers - it'll be away a while and that'll give me a chance to track down the last of the parts and build the 'module'. Plus to find the money to pay for it!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Necro-thread...

I'm just going to leave this here... Rich has worked his magic and it looks incredible!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/B01EBE3C-D7BD-4621-985D-4B14E69CD973_zpsb7v0s3ph.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2419
    Fabulous! superb guitars these, congrats!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16731
    Awesome
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    impmann said:
    Necro-thread...

I'm just going to leave this here... Rich has worked his magic and it looks incredible!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/B01EBE3C-D7BD-4621-985D-4B14E69CD973_zpsb7v0s3ph.jpg
    woa woa woa woa...what the fuck is that mark below the control plate!!!!!
    edited June 2016
    Reflection!
    Honest!

edited June 2016
    impmann said:
    Reflection!
    Honest!
    my gonads vanished up into my stomach when i saw that mate. I've documented enough with you the horror of that veneer, just want everyone else to know. If you veneer a body, make sure you have covered every single last mm of the veneer with glue before setting it, this bastard of a guitar lifted, moved,split,cracked, shrunk,chipped..literally everything that could go to shit did. Every time the top had been sanded back and buffed and left a couple of days the finish would develop a new inexplicable crack,split or lump. it has taken months, probably longer than PVOdaves monterey replica and that was never ending...!!! I'm just glad it hasn't disintegrated in transit.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    lamf68 said:
    impmann said:
    Reflection!
    Honest!
    my gonads vanished up into my stomach when i saw that mate. I've documented enough with you the horror of that veneer, just want everyone else to know. If you veneer a body, make sure you have covered every single last mm of the veneer with glue before setting it, this bastard of a guitar lifted, moved,split,cracked, shrunk,chipped..literally everything that could go to shit did. Every time the top had been sanded back and buffed and left a couple of days the finish would develop a new inexplicable crack,split or lump. it has take months, probably longer than PVOdaves monterey replica and that was never ending...!!! I'm just glad it hasn't disintegrated in transit.
    Sounds like @impmann has raised the bar on horrendous time consuming projects for you @lamf68 - I better get my thinking cap on ;)
    PVO_Dave said:
    lamf68 said:
    impmann said:
    Reflection!
    Honest!
    my gonads vanished up into my stomach when i saw that mate. I've documented enough with you the horror of that veneer, just want everyone else to know. If you veneer a body, make sure you have covered every single last mm of the veneer with glue before setting it, this bastard of a guitar lifted, moved,split,cracked, shrunk,chipped..literally everything that could go to shit did. Every time the top had been sanded back and buffed and left a couple of days the finish would develop a new inexplicable crack,split or lump. it has take months, probably longer than PVOdaves monterey replica and that was never ending...!!! I'm just glad it hasn't disintegrated in transit.
    Sounds like @impmann has raised the bar on horrendous time consuming projects for you @lamf68 - I better get my thinking cap on ;)
    No Dave, the strat was still my biggest mistake in agreeing to do something while not actually thinking, and this flying V needs its own garage to work on it, tooooooo Biiiiiigggg
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    lamf68 said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    lamf68 said:
    impmann said:
    Reflection!
    Honest!
    No Dave, the strat was still my biggest mistake in agreeing to do something while not actually thinking, and this flying V needs its own garage to work on it, tooooooo Biiiiiigggg
    I feel the Strat project might be a bit easy for you!

Back to this thread, that's going to look great all finished @impmann the pictures of the body in the light look amazing!
    Thanks for the kind words - but I think Rich needs the praise... there were times when I honestly thought he was going to have a breakdown over these pigging cracks. Shergold bodies are made of Obeche and there are reasons why few makers use  this soft hardwood for guitar bodies. If you look at most Shergolds, the finish is cracked to hell - there are many theories why but I believe its because the Obeche flexes/swells/contracts more than other woods. Couple that to a thin veneer stuck to the top that also cracks easily and its a receipe for disaster...

I'm a realist - if cracks appear in the finish over time, I know its not for a lack of trying by Rich (far from it) and I'm just going to accept them as part of this guitar's story. Currently, it is flawless - I mean, truly flawless... I've never seen a better finish on a guitar at any price and its truly amazing to look at the 'before' pics on page 1...

I can't wait to reassemble it. But it looks like I may have to, as we are waiting on a completion date for moving - we are hoping for later in the month - and so there are higher priorities in the immediate term (officially, according to SWMBO).

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited June 2016
    That looks fabulous @impmann It's always been one of my favourite veneers - ( relatively) stable, looks gre at just oiled or varnished and looks fabulous stained and finished like this. I can't speak for the obeche, but I have never had veneer subsequently move or crack once properly dry and finished....
    It's a guitar again.

I've still got some wiring to do - as with everything on a Shergold its not *quite* what you expect but once it's finished it'll be lovely.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/04CD77CE-7ED5-4FD7-9A5C-1A0B1858C4DF_zpsnyvjy3a2.jpg