is it me or is this total shit

What's Hot

some of the worlds best blues guitarists "jamming" sweet home Chicago

Its dire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEmvBdRLg4k

even Johnny Boy Mayer fails to set the world alight

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great line up, I expected fireworks, seriously underwhelmed, just like you.  A bit embarrassing really   :-S

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Why am I thinking of Chelsea F.C.?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I've certainly seen & heard better but it wasn't "total shit". I've heard (and played) MUCH MUCH worse
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    Total shite. 

I suspect they were all worried about stepping on each others toes and probably couldn't hear themselves. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Whenever you get a bunch of guitarists on stage it doesn't work. You always get some horrendous long jam best suited to your own soundproofed garage. More than 2 guitars and it sounds like mud to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72661
    axisus said:
    Whenever you get a bunch of guitarists on stage it doesn't work. You always get some horrendous long jam best suited to your own soundproofed garage. More than 2 guitars and it sounds like mud to me.
    Three can work, but they have to be playing carefully structured parts which fit together, and not just 'jamming'. Eagles and Radiohead just to name two completely different examples that do work.

This sounds like everything that's crap about electric blues rolled into one though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

I agree. Have a wisdom biscuit,

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @bigjon and myself did a better version at the jam last Sunday, with betterer solo's played by Jon

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I love the way they all look at each other awkwardly from time to time in between passages like... OH IT'S YOUR TURN, WAIT NO IT'S MINE, WHAT? OH HAHAHAH *awkward smile from Clapton* 

Yeah it's not just you... it's shit. :) 

Too many guitars at the same time. All are great in their own right but as a collective this just doesn't sound good. 

Mayer looks so outta it as well lol
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    its poor i'm afraid,

strangely i still get excited by these things ,even though they are always horrible and i'm always disappointed.

[-(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72661
    Lukeage said:
    I love the way they all look at each other awkwardly from time to time in between passages like... OH IT'S YOUR TURN, WAIT NO IT'S MINE, WHAT? OH HAHAHAH *awkward smile from Clapton*
    It might actually have been more entertaining - and at least definitely shorter ;) - if they'd all just gone for it at the same time. They were pretty much all playing the same stuff anyway… you'd still have been able to hear it was several guitars because the tones would still have varied from shrill to muddy - but if you'd added them all together the result might have been something almost balanced.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It doesn't help that I fucking love this song (well anything that's covered on Blues Brothers for that matter) but this is utter shite.

It's official: Matt Murphy kicks all these boys arses all over Chicago. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10691
    tFB Trader
    Yeeesch ... embarrassing. Like some third rate blues jam.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    Just watched the Stratpack concert on Sky and much the same when everone and their dog gets up on stage for the final song (The Faces 'Stay With Me') - loads of good musicians but the result is seriously underwhelming.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Like the complete opposite of the advert were the toddlers start playing the instruments in the studio. Only difference is Clapton knows 1 + 1 is 2 etc. 
    Looks like the lunatics have taken over the asylum im afraid.
  • I remember watching a video tape of SRV Live at El Mocambo with my girlfriend of the time. She complained at first about having to watch it, but proceeded to change her mind and was massively impressed. The week after we did the same thing with the SRV tribute concert, with Clapton and Buddy Guy etc, and she said 'is it me, or is this really boring compared to SRV?'. I can imagine she'd say the same about this.

Too many cooks perhaps!
  • What did you guys expect ? Load of old guys playing a 3 chord blues shuffle, it's been done to death many times over. Can't remember last time any blues guitarist young or old excited me. Hasn't been anything new in blues since cream.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    was it sponsored by fender?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I can play that!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This is why I hate most blues. Self congratulatory wank with no innovation. Boring bastards playing the same boring songs to each other and circle jerking about who played the best version while buying each others' original 50's kit as used by Dullard X on his seminal "Same Old Tripe Recorded in New Orleans" album.

I used to have to work the bar for a blues night. Hands down the most joyless bunch of sods I've ever had to deal with in the pub trade.