metronome

What's Hot
kinkin Frets: 1015
Probably a total noob question but here goes.. I keep seeing people suggest playing to a metronome is a good idea, never tried it, so...

When playing a scale to a metronome, are you supposed to play each note on the click of each beat?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    There are many ways to do it.
    It is normal to count quarter notes with the metronome for a 4/4 signature.

Like a lot of jazz-influenced guys I usually set the metronome to half time and count it on the 2 & 4.
    This allows you to swing with the click.
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    You can do, then you can progress to playing 2 notes per click then 4 notes.  Doesn't matter too much, as long as you just gradually ramp up the speed methodically.  Probably best to progress slowly so you have accuracy, otherwise you may end up playing fast by not accurately.

If you have a metronome with a choice of sounds, try the different options out, or if using a computer based metronome, you can get it to trigger your choice of sounds, with accents.  So, if you're playing in 3/4 time for example, you can make beat 1 stronger than 2 and 3.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
     I'm going to have to look into learning more about time signatures first then.

@octatonic in your example, I would be playing each note of the scale on every second and fourth beat?

@richh in your example, I would be playing each note on the first beat?

Thanks to both of you
  • Or you could practice your poly-rhythms and play 5 notes for every 4 clicks. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Right , so now I need to go and look up poly- rhythm's too, thanks for that..I think :)
  • To be a little more helpful. Play something you want to practice, a scale, a song, whatever and tap your foot as you play.

Set the metronome to click where your foot taps.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thankyou
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    Lots of options for you, as long as you have a system you should be okay.  @octatonic suggested playing with the click on the backbeat, which will probably be more fun if you can do that.
  • The backbeat thing only works for time signatures that have a meaningful backbeat though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I can't have an annoying click or beep accompanying my practice. I tried the metronome thing after watching Petrucci's video about building speed, but abandoned it pretty quickly

I'd rather play over a drum machine or even better a backing track. That way you'll get used to hearing what your going to hear when you ultimately play live.

If you have access to one of those cheap keyboards that does one finger accompaniments, you can set a rhythm going at a tempo to suit with the root note of your scale.

Don't worry about poly-rhythms until you have basic rhythm down.

• @ElectroDan makes sense for playing songs. I'm quite OK with a metronome tick for scales arpeggios and other technical exercises, I can tolerate it for playing a piece of real music, but I agree that when you play a piece of real music it's more fun to have a realistic drum beat. The downside is you have to set the machine up to produce the beat, and there's nothing wrong with that either if it helps you to analyse what the beat is, but it does take time away from your playing time.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Yes If something helps you get where your going then that can only be a good thing. I can honestly say I have hardly ever practiced to any beat other than my foot tapping. But to internalise the exercises you are learning, whatever gets the job done I suppose.