Which Vintage Strat Tremolo? Wilikinson, Gotoh, Callaham, Wudtone?

What's Hot

Yes it's probably been done to death but I am currently finishing off my Strat build.  The last two parts of the jigsaw are some pickups from Ash and choosing a tremolo but I keep going in circles on choosing which one.  What do people recommend? 

Price isn't an issue in the sense I don't want to cheap out for the sake of it but equally I don't want to overpay.  This is further complicated by a lot of online comparisons raving about the Callaham BUT saying that the Wilko stays in tune better.  I am a big trem user ala Mr Beck.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Wudtone.

Seriously it's the best available. When I'm a bit more flush, I shall be fitting them to both my other strats.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @impmann - Thanks for that.  It is currently the front runner and cost wise sits between the lot pricewise.  A couple of questions which you might not be able to answer -

a.) I know it's subjective but is the a noticeable difference with it compared to your others?

b.) Do you know what the difference is between the standard and holy grail versions?

A) I found the difference in return to pitch over the Callaham and Wilkinson truly marked. I own guitars fitted with both and the Wudtone trounces both. I've also found that in conjunction with locking machines, a graphite nut and no string trees I can go apeshit with the trem in the same way you can with a Floyd - perfect return to pitch.
    In terms of sound, it's subjective - when I slotted this into Mother Earth, the treble became clearer (not harsh), the mids more focussed and it generally sounded louder (acoustically and electrically). However, bear in mind I have no way of measuring this, so make of it what you will.
    And in use, it's the smoothest trem I've ever had - it has all the best bits of a two post (smooth operation etc) without the negatives (too soft/chirping, slightly plunky sound etc).

B) mine is the holy grail. It has a greater mass in the top plate and if you compare behind the saddles to a standard Strat trem it has a much thicker 'bar' that retains them. The vintage is more like the original with the back of the assembly bent up in a 90 degree fold. In terms of tone/operation, I can't comment as I've not used the vintage.

Hope that helps - talk to @Andypwudtone if you want any details. It's fair to say he can talk for England (or Wales) in the subject - I mean that in a good way! :-)

• @impmann. ; Thanks so much for all that info, I think you have made my mind up for me and it's great to here from someone who has also tried the Wilko and Callaham.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Like I say I have two guitars here that I have earmarked for Wudtone trems - one has a Wilkinson (very good for the money but not a patch on the Wudtone) and a U.S. Standard two post (sorry but I hate those trems!!). Sadly being unemployed *still* means it will have to wait til that situation improves.

• I've used both holy grail and the standard wudtone.

Both are excellent - they take the classic design and tweak it to make it easier to set up. Really nice units.

I can't compare tonally exactly as one is in a slimline (reduced thickness) swamp ash prs build with glued in neck and the other is a very lightweight full thickness strat. The swamp ash one doesn't have tons of room as the block hits the back of the route. It won't stay in tune because of the nut, birthday money will let feline fix that ;)

However, the PRS alike has a much thicker, thuddier tone. It's not an especially resonant body, it great for heavy palm mutes and lead lines (as intended). It's hard to say what the bridge adds, but for a 6 point trem it sustains well. The strat is much brighter unplugged and very resonant, less sustain. It still has a good amount of sustain though, which I reckon is the bridge assembly helping - contrary to what some have found, I've often found heavier, deader sounding bodies to sustain forever and ultra light ones less so, but hae a more lively tone.

No idea if that helps...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I never bought into all the replacement block / tone thing until I replaced the block after the threads stripped on the trem arm. The change was so huge I replaced the blocks on my other Strats.

The full trem is a work of art. It responds beautifully and with some locking tuners at the other end, just doesn't go out of tune.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30970
    @randomhandclaps

Trem systems all work - it's about the set  up. For me, nothing beats the feel of a 6 screw vintage one. THe Callaham has a tool steel block too, whioch makes a massive diff.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10738
    tFB Trader
    I've used Callum, Wudtone and Wilkinson ... 
    I find the Wilkinson has all the improvements I need in tone, but is no better in function (apart from the slot in arm which I love) than a standard six screw vintage Fender. That is great for me as I only ever use a trem sparingly anyway ... but if one is doing lots of whanging,  Wudtone is streets ahead.
    Andy's kit is beautifully engineered and British made. 
    I am going to fit a narrower string width bridge to my black relic Strat ... and that will probably be a Wilkinson as I'm tighter than a fishes fundamental orifice with me pennies. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• @TheGuitarWeasel - Thanks for that, Ash.  It puts it in the kind of perspective I needed.  There is obviously a large price jump between the Wilko and the Wudtone and I didn't want to pay that 'just because' it must be better because it's more, by the same token It's a key part to me so wanted the best.

I'm waiting on a guy picking something up this afternoon and giving me a wad of cash and then I'll shoot you an undoubtedly confusing pickup order over.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10738
    tFB Trader
    If you want Beck for your buck ... go Wudtone ... 
    You can use that Andy ... I won't charge ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited October 2015
    hi @randomhandclaps , this link  http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Tom-Cundall-tests.pdf    was missing for a while ,  (apologies,  it got lost in a website update)  . It gives some feedback about the Holy Grail,  CP VT differences. kind regards
  • Thanks @andywudtone. ; I'm set on one of your trems and it'll most probably me the HG as making the assumption is a slightly better option but will give that a read.  One final thing if you get the chance - What is the tremolo arm fitting?  Is it push in or screw?  Is it made to a standard size?

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited October 2015
    No worries, thank you

the arm fitting is a best of both, slide through a delrin bush (which takes out all the slack and also supports the arm in the critical area to stop breakages) and then lock in with a couple of twists into threads. It can ( with a bit of use, lard, and engaged in just a couple of threads ) swing quite easily or with a few more turns down into the threads will stiffen depending on your preference. The blocks are precise engineered to work with 5mm dia stainless steel arms ( M5 threads on the end) 

pics here 

kind regards
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @andywudtone - Brilliant, thanks for that.  That's confirmed it for me.  Although I own a couple of Ibbys with push in bars I much prefer the flexibility and adjustability a screw in gives.  It wouldn't have been a deal breaker but the design above looks fantastic and very well thought out.  It's funny because I looks at the design of your trem and part of me thinks "wow" and another part thinks "Well obviously, why hasn't someone done this before?".  The traditionalist  in me will be going for the VT.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    No worries, thank you

the arm fitting is a best of both, slide through a delrin bush (which takes out all the slack and also supports the arm in the critical area to stop breakages) and then lock in with a couple of twists into threads. It can ( with a bit of use, lard, and engaged in just a couple of threads ) swing quite easily or with a few more turns down into the threads will stiffen depending on your preference. The blocks are precise engineered to work with 5mm dia stainless steel arms ( M5 threads on the end) 

pics here 

kind regards
    A wow awarded, great design @andypwudtone!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)