Changing Bigsby trem to fixed bridge?

What's Hot
I've got a couple of semi acoustics that have Bigsby style trems on.  Although I like the idea of it, I rarely use trem, so am thinking how easy it would be to change to fixed bridge.  Is this normally fairly easy to do, and if so does anybody know where I'd get the parts from and if it is feasible without loads of screw holes being visible?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30984
    @richh

Bigger job than doing it t'other way around.

The post holes are a bastard to do without a fixed drill.

You'll (IMO) lose a bit of sustain too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    Thanks, its no big deal to leave the Bigsbys on, I just thought it might help with tuning stability to take them off.

I didn't think about the change to the sound / sustain, but I'm sure it would change that in some way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72731
    If you really want to disable them, just take the arm and spring off next time you change strings. With all the strings off, pull the arm up, take the spring out, and undo the nut that holds the arm on. Then just string it up with the cam resting on the baseplate.

But Bigsbys are too cool to have to do that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12685
    I once worked on a 330 that the owner had replaced the spring with a small metal tube (I think it may have been a cut down mic stand). That way, he could keep the arm on for looks without having the trem 'active'.

I seem to remember it did work as designed, but I kept thinking it was a ball ache for the sake of looks
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks, the other thing I might try is changed the bridge itself to a roller bridge.  I like the Bigsby, but the return to pitch isn't as accurate as I'd like.  My Parker NiteFly trem works great, but you're right, Bigsbys are very cool!
    I might be biased but I'd keep it.

I like me a Bigsby

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72731
    richh said:
    Thanks, the other thing I might try is changed the bridge itself to a roller bridge.  I like the Bigsby, but the return to pitch isn't as accurate as I'd like.
    It's the nut. It always is with Bigsbys… partly because they're usually fitted to guitars with wide 3-a-side headstocks.

Or at least if there isn't any friction at the bridge saddle too, which a roller should take care of. The actual Bigbsy itself is extremely well-engineered with high-quality bearings and never causes the tuning problem.

It's really amazing how well one will return to pitch on something like a Bigsby Tele, with a rocker bridge and a straight string path at the nut - I had one that you could literally shake by the arm or get as close to divebombing as you can with one, and it would just not go out of tune.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2015
    ICBM said:
    richh said:
    Thanks, the other thing I might try is changed the bridge itself to a roller bridge.  I like the Bigsby, but the return to pitch isn't as accurate as I'd like.
    It's the nut. It always is with Bigsbys… partly because they're usually fitted to guitars with wide 3-a-side headstocks.

Or at least if there isn't any friction at the bridge saddle too, which a roller should take care of. The actual Bigbsy itself is extremely well-engineered with high-quality bearings and never causes the tuning problem.

It's really amazing how well one will return to pitch on something like a Bigsby Tele, with a rocker bridge and a straight string path at the nut - I had one that you could literally shake by the arm or get as close to divebombing as you can with one, and it would just not go out of tune.
    @ICBM

Funny you should say that- when Andy at Chandlers fitted my Bigsby today to the R6 he did exactly that, added nut sauce and said keep the nut well lubricated for decent pitch return. He also recut the E, A, and D slots slightly wider.

(I pointed out I was reasonably aux fait with the need for lube but I am only posting that because someone else will if I don't.)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Gassage;835053" said:
    I might be biased but I'd keep it.

I like me a Bigsby
    What is the red one? That's quite a looker!

edited October 2015
    It's a CS356- solid hand carved top, ebony board, Seth Lover Pups.

Thanks guys, some great ideas there.  If I can get my Bigsbys working better I'd love to keep them.

Also +1 on loving Gassage CS356, that reeks quality!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Jesus Gassage, you're absolutely shameless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom