£130 for strings!

What's Hot
This is what happens when you attempt to reconstruct a ludicrous 23 string 17th century instrument that requires all the strings to be natural gut. :-(
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    You're an idiot!
    This is a good thing.

:o3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This instrument had been very costly!

it cost me £80 just for the ebony strips that go in between the ribs...........
    Old Is Gold
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    This instrument had been very costly!

it cost me £80 just for the ebony strips that go in between the ribs...........
    Youch!
    Any pics yet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeaah - I could double the value of some of my guitars. :)

Definitely would like to see fotos too, and  I think this sort of bobbins should be blogged sunshine, especially the cat-gutting part. Cat fotos always go down so well on here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    edited August 2013
    Ouch. Although I think we're just lucky that guitar strings are so cheap... when my daughter took up viola I got some strings for that and they were a bit eye-watering. All the classical instrument strings seem to be - I remember a double bass player I know saying a decent set cost a couple of hundred quid or something... although they do at least last for quite a few years.

Ebony is very pricey too. Way back in the mid 90s I had a mad idea that I could build a sort of Steinberger bass copy in solid ebony... until I found out the price of a piece of instrument grade ebony that big, and gave up rapidly! £450 if I remember right, and that was twenty years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16768
    you wouldn't find a billet big enough now
  • Aye pictures and it's own thread at the end of the month if I finish it..................

Hand in date is 29th August :-(
    Old Is Gold
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    edited August 2013
    ICBM said:
    I remember a double bass player I know saying a decent set cost a couple of hundred quid or something...
    One that I know (sort of - he's in bands with @bluechargeboy ) just paid £130 for one string! :-O

Makes leaning your bass against a wall and watching it slide down an expensive proposition.
  • Misterg said:
    One that I know (sort of - he's in bands with @bluechargeboy ) just paid £130 for one string! :-O

Makes leaning your bass against a wall and watching it slide down an expensive proposition.

Aye, silver-on-gut orchestral strings, it's a different world! You don't want to know how much bows cost...
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Well when VAT was added and the cost of the smaller gauge strings I had to buy from Poland then the total is an eye watering £175!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old Is Gold