Relaxing while playing.

What's Hot
I'm currently learning the solo to The Unforgiven by Metallica and have got the clean intro to it virtually done however it seems,as whenever I'm learning something new,I find it really difficult to relax and find myself tensing up which had an adverse effect on my playing.I sometimes find the more I play something over again the worse I play it.I end up gripping the pick too tightly and however much I try to relax I just end up tensing again.It only really happens when I'm learning something new as I'm ok when I'm just jamming to myself.I find putting the guitar down and coming back later helps nut it's getting a bit frustrating now.Have you guys got any tips on how to get yourself to relax while playing.

Cheers.
Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't have any tips really, but the fact that you are aware of tension is a great start.
    Now that you are aware of it you can work on nipping it in the bud as soon as it starts to creep up on you.
    Taking control of your breathing helps too.
    We tend to breath very shallow when we play.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I get a bit tense when I have a lesson, gripping too hard and holding my breath etc. What helps me is closing my eyes
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    I think this is pretty common. I used to suffer the physical effects of nerves when I first started playing live, facing a 'tricky bit'.

Sheer repetition always resolved it - in other words I just worked hard to make playing the section that caused me to tense-up second nature. Eventually I could play 'on auto-pilot' - it was always the unfamiliar which caused me problems.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    Slow down.
    Most people tense up because they are trying to play things too quickly.

A good practice tip is to play at 60-75% of your maximum speed for most of your practice sessions, with a burst of speed at the end.
    Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom