Finger Picking

Is frustrating the hell outta me.  I know what bass strings and bass string hooks I want to play and can play it with a basic finger picking style, but I also know the melody I want to pay, even if I slow it right down to a crawl it catches me out at some stage, usually a few bars in.

I find this sort of stuff much easier to be taught, or alternatively write down and then learn from the transcription to make sense of where the thumb picked bass lines fits in with the melody, but this seems an absurd waste of time.

I find it almost impossible to just work it out manually, probably as my rhythm is duff or brain is damaged.

Is there any way to fast track this or just practice until I can play the auto play the thumb bass lines in my sleep?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    good tip i think is to work out where a bass note and high note are played together work through them when comfortable start adding the extra melody notes in the gaps.....get the bass down so its rock solid first then add the pinches then add the other notes.....hours and bhours of practice will do it...lovely once you are there though
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Fingerpicking is one of those things that I was very lucky with, it seemed totally natural and easy, pretty much falls out of my hand without any thought at all. Too bad I'm crap at other areas of guitar playing.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Ner fook it.  Worked out Nothing But a Good Time solo by Poison last night instead.  Now want to make a neon pink ST III. 

Old habits die hard I guess.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock