Roller nut for LP or Graphite?

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I fitted a roller bridge to my project Hondo II LP with Bigsby style trem after noticing the stock bridge was moving slightly while bending. Whilst not going out of tune unless hammering the trem I thought a roller nut may help but I can't find a LP one. Would a Graphite nut be the best alternative? I have never cut a nut so I'm guessing a pre cut would be my best option or should I pay someone to set it all up properly. This project is pretty much done now so seems a shame not to finish it properly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72734
    The best is a brass nut with well-polished grooves and a small amount of lubricant. Really.

The second best is a bone nut with well-polished grooves and a small amount of lubricant.

The third best is a

… don't bother.

A *hard* nut with a tiny amount of lubricant is a far better way of removing friction than a soft nut which is supposedly self-lubricating, and although a roller nut will work too, it's not really necessary and can cause other problems, particularly ratting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited October 2015
    Thanks @ICBM will order one now
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Doesn't a roller nut require a larger slot to sit in,so you can't really go back after fitting it?
  • NickLNickL Frets: 153
    One of the problems with a lot of roller nuts is that, unlike with a regular slotted nut, the break point of the string is some way behind the front edge, so some of the fretboard in front of the nut has to be cut away. This makes it tricky to reverse. Some types require more wood removal than others - the Wilkinson used on early Strat Pluses (Jeff Beck's favourite) needs something like a 1cm flat "shelf" to sit on, but the later Fender LSR fits into a more normal slot.