iMac help

What's Hot
So I am now in a position to be able to buy an iMac for recording (have been promising myself one for a long time now) and just wondered if anyone might be able to help as far as how the price increase improves the computer? Can I get most entry level recording done on the most basic model? I've always been one for wanting the more expensive stuff, but for the purpose of recording (probably with Ableton) what would you suggest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I would recommend whatever you do, upgrade the hard-drive to an SSD. That makes a huge difference.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Drew_fx said:
    I would recommend whatever you do, upgrade the hard-drive to an SSD. That makes a huge difference.
    SSD??
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I'm in exactly the ame boat and was going to go with the basic £899 jobbie to run Logix Pro X - anyone see issues with this?

Also, SSD?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    Solid State Drive = V fast.
    Apprecaite the help guys, could you be a bit more talkative though when you say things like SSD and solid state drive, as although it's helpful to know those thins exist and need to be looked for, I still have no idea what they are or why they are important (this is a new world to me so if you could be gentle and explain things in a bit more detail that would really help)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27034
    Can you even buy a Mac that doesn't have an SSD (solid state drive) these days? In any case, they do make for a good zippy machine.

If it's a desktop I wouldn't worry too much about storage space, but memory is a good upgrade. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    preston61 said:
    Apprecaite the help guys, could you be a bit more talkative though when you say things like SSD and solid state drive, as although it's helpful to know those thins exist and need to be looked for, I still have no idea what they are or why they are important (this is a new world to me so if you could be gentle and explain things in a bit more detail that would really help)
    Regular hard-drives are mechanical. IE: They comprise of moving parts. So the read and write times are limited by how fast the mechanics can operate.

Solid State Drives are not like that. They have no moving parts, and so the read and write times are incredibly quick.

This boils down to things like how quickly Windows or OSX will boot up. How quickly files will open and save. How quickly your applications launch and how smoothly they run. It's pretty basic stuff to be honest, you might want to go and do some research before spending any cash.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    Ok I have a fusion drive which is 3tb....it's a mix of solid state and regular memory. The solid state is used to run the operating system whilst the storage uses regular memory. The computer opens in 10 seconds, closes in 11. Seconds. Do not whatever you do buy the ram from Apple on the desktops. So 32gb of ram from Apple (increase over 8gb) costs £470. I paid £100 from crucial. The rest is up to you, although the retina screen is truly great.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Drew_fx;837467" said:
    preston61 said:

It's pretty basic stuff to be honest, you might want to go and do some research before spending any cash.
    Basic if you know it mate, and as for doing research, I believe that's kind of the point of posting this. Thanks for the other parts of your post though, they were worth reading
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Save some cash and get a late 2012 Mac mini ? You might find one with SSD, I paid about £600. I7, 16G ram, 2.6ghz,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    @preston61 - any iMac will suffice here mate. You wouldnt believe this but new 27" iMac 5k arrived tonight; im just setting it up.

i went for every option with mine (£2700 !) but this earns my salary and ive tried to future proof it. Even the base model would do you fine. As Thorpy said, you can upgrade your own memory on the 27" and its much cheaper from Crucial.

SSD is meant to be quicker than normal Hard drive. Fusion combines the two. Feel free to ask any questions.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    edited October 2015
    preston61 said:
    Drew_fx;837467" said:
    preston61 said:

It's pretty basic stuff to be honest, you might want to go and do some research before spending any cash.
    Basic if you know it mate, and as for doing research, I believe that's kind of the point of posting this. Thanks for the other parts of your post though, they were worth reading
    @Drew_fx's answer didn't seem snarky to me. The point is that you're not going to get the perfect answer by asking other people; you only get that by spending time on it, doing the legwork yourself after being pointed in the right direction here and - as a result - learning. Lots.

It's an unfortunate fact that while it's possible to do recording without knowing anything about computers at all, you'll get far better results by understanding how it works...and a forum simply isn't the right format for that, because there's vast amounts of information that needs to end up in your brain.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Preston61 - PM me mate if you want any info...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Take a University student with you and get 12% off the price or buy from the refurb store online at apple.com/uk. Just type refurb in search box.

Buy as fast as you can afford and look out for 0% interest near Christmas time online, as is often a promotion this time of year. Last year it started in November and finished in January.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• kinkin Frets: 1015

@preston61, I'm recording on an iPad air2 , using garage band and Auria and various apps, it's enough to let me join in with the various riff challenges on here and looking around u tube there are people who can put together really impressive recordings with the same setup.

Go the basic route, become familiar with it until you find the limit and then upgrade.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Don't upgrade the ram with Apple. Get one with 4 slots that you can upgrade yourself from Crucial.

My 2011 iMac spec for comparison:

2.8 quad core i7 
    1tb hard drive (7200rpm, not ssd)
    20gb ram

and mine is pretty nippy. Currently using it for all band stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @deijavoo - nice spec that
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It's only a titchy little 21.5 but is ideal for me, for now.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    On this subject, I'm also thinking of upgrading my very old imac (it's white!). The issue I have is that I'm using a digi002 rack as my interface and it needs firewire to work. Anyone have any experience of Thunderbolt to Firewire? Some not great reviews for the adapter on the Apple website, so not sure how reliable it will be. Otherwise I suppose an older mac with firewire might be the way to go?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I use my digidesign 003r with my macbook Pro using the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor and it works fine