Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have perfect pitch?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Had a guy that used to come in my shop that could tell what inversion of a chord you played plus each of the notes with his back to you. Incredible to witness

Yes but to be honest that's really simple for anyone brought up via the classical music tradition, I mean, that's just knowing your inversions, knowing your keys and having relative pitch - the thing is, he could be similarly be amazed by the fact that you can improvise a solo over a song you've never heard.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Far from it but I'm getting better. I practice with a app called eartrainer but not as often as I need to.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What I have trouble with is identifying octaves.  Singing particularly. I can almost hit an A1 and make the speaker rumble.  So I think it's probably ego as my voice is so shit and most singers are tenors, which I struggle to even hit the low notes of.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    I'm not far off, but I've got excellent relative pitch. Totally flawed test though, everything can be worked out relative to that first A! Those with true perfect pitch are extremely rare!
    I only know one guy who genuinely has perfect pitch and I've never met a musician like him. Jazzer called nik svarc; check him out. Phenomenal guitarist
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    I have tinnitus as a constant C which combined with good relative pitch me gets me pretty close most of the time :D

If you ever see  me squinting and putting a finger in one ear to block sound you know I'm calibrating :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Very few perfect pitches although the new ones laid at Arundel Castle are close- great bounce and carry, does a bit early on for the seamers and spins at the end.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited December 2015
    viz said:
    Had a guy that used to come in my shop that could tell what inversion of a chord you played plus each of the notes with his back to you. Incredible to witness

Yes but to be honest that's really simple for anyone brought up via the classical music tradition, I mean, that's just knowing your inversions, knowing your keys and having relative pitch - the thing is, he could be similarly be amazed by the fact that you can improvise a solo over a song you've never heard.
    I had an inversion heater once that kettled in perfect pitch....other than that the bloody thing didn't know it's arse from it's elbow. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nope but I have very good relative pitch.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Ive can accurately tune a guitar to concert pitch, it was my party trick in my old music shop years ago.
    I'd get my guitar pals to check against a tuner afterwards and it would be spot on.
    The trick is to visualise a tune you know is in E and then tune to it, mind you it comes from being a pre digital age guitarist O:-)
  • Our bass player also plays in an orchestra, and one of the kids there has perfect pitch. They tested him the other day and he nailed it, repeatedly.

"A but a bit sharp"
    "Perfect E flat"

etc etc. I wasn't there but the unbelievers were apparently converted!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I didn't take the test... I know I don't have perfect pitch..

and to be honest I'm glad I don't.. from what I've seen it can be as much of a curse as a blessing..

having a very solid sense of relative pitch is far more useful..

play every note as if it were your first
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The A at the beginning made me really uncomfortable
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Stamford Bridge
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>