Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What amps was Peter Green using for the Fleetwood recording sessions?

What's Hot
Been listening to the old FM stuff lately.... What a talent Peter Green was =)
What was he playing through?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Matamp early on, check out the excellent Matamp book by Martin Celmins, then Fender Deluxes and Bassmans. Remember most of his sound is in the fingers, riding the Vol and tone pots and down to sheer volume level......

• He had a seriously good pair of ears in his day ......
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Early marshalls, jtm45' do a decent job with some kind of reverb unit.

Been listening to the boston tea party cd some great stuff on that.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    He used a JTM45 early on, then went to Orange and used (I can't remember the exact code) OT120 or OR120 (something like that), then used Fender heads and cabs. I've got his biography where it goes through what he used. I'll dig it out and post a bit more detail later.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Allegedly his first amp was a Fenton Weill 15w bass amp. He started off on bass.

Then a Vox Foundation 50w bass amp.

Then when he joined the Bluesbreakers he used a JTM45 with a single cab. He used the Marshall on some early FM recordings too, like Drifting.

In 68 they got a deal with Orange. He started using a 100w GT120 head with 2 2x12 cabs, with a separate reverb tank.

He then changed to Fender and he used a Bandmaster with a Tremolux 2x10 and a 1x12 cab.

With the Splinter Group he used a Fender Blues De Ville 60w 4x10 combo.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @chrisb50! Great gen there.. ;)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Some excerpts from Guitar Magazine (pre Guitar & Bass Magazine)  are here:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=10844

• He also used a Fender Dual Showman at times

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I believe he used an original Pod 2.0 bean.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    After he ditched the Orange amps I believe he retained the Orange reverb unit. Reverb was always such a big part of his sound.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    He used Fender Prosonics towards the end of the Splinter Group.
  • According to Matamp, it was one of their Series 2000 amps on Albatross.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Drew_fx;842386" said:
    ..indeed THE piece of kit for the touch player - every nuance is faithfully buried in a thick layer of 16bit wallpaper paste.

Do you know if he used the 'crunch' or the 'overdrive' setting? ..apparently the cruch is just like a Dumble?

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx said:
    as funny as that sounds...i actually think players like these guys would be using things like Kemper and AxFx...they were pioneers not only in music but in gear as well, and used the newest and most out there stuff...they were the early adopters...infact Kemper would probably have a Peter Green Sig Model
    @aidenspaghetti no worries mate.

I could imagine Peter Green using a POD to be honest. He really doesn't seem to be fussy about the gear he uses. There's a video of him going through a storage locker where he keeps some of his guitars. He has a lot of obscure stuff that you wouldn't expect. He definitely seems to be a bloke who sees his gear as tools.

• Imagine what Hendrix would be banging out with Kempers, axe fx's etc.... Sigh....
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    I've gigged a POD2 bean - kinda worked with a phalanx of pedals, but you'd never call it touch sensitive

..but Greenie could have made it work for him for sure - Those who can, do. Those that can't (like me!) buy a lot of shit and still can't

As for Jimi, I think the Studio was becoming his main instrument before he returned to his home planet - would have been cool to see where he could have gone with Protools and an Axis Virus..

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24839
    edited December 2015
    He may have used a Blackstar HT1R.... Forgive the mistakes - I should have learned the changes in the middle eight before trying to play through them....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nicely played @richardhomer :)
  • DartmoorHedgehog;908027" said:
    Nicely played @richardhomer :)
    Thank you. It genuinely was played through a Blackstar HT1R incidentally.