Dealing With Difficult Screws - Hayulp

What's Hot
It is the last day of the school holidays, and I still can't get one of the neck screws out of my Polish semi thing, and it is driving me nuts as I need to be playing it Wednesday night..

It is a big slot-headed (?) screw that looking at the one that did come out, will have gone rusty. Unfortunately, the screw head is mashed, it was mashed when I got it, but is even more mashed now and it is a really shallow bit where the screwdriver should fit.

So far I have tried:

1. A big screwdriver

2. Putting a rubber band over the screwhead to try and get more grip

3. Leaving it soaked overnight in WD40

4. Hitting the screwdriver with a hammer to try and deepen the slot

5. Heating the screw with a soldering iron to try and make the hole bigger

6. Hitting the screwhead with a chisel to try and deepen the slot

And it is still laughing at me.

I would try getting pliers or grips to it, but it is at the bottom of a narrow 2cm deep trench, so no chance, and there is a small metal neck plate thing it is sat in flush as well, so it isn't like I could dig under it into the wood even.

Reading around Screw Extractor tools seem to be recommended, but Homebase didn't sell such a thing earlier today, though there are plenty on-line.

Is that my best next step or should I just drill through the fretboard and hit the bottom of the screw with a hammer?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

Since you have already resorted to bashing, buy an impact driver.

If you have never seen one it is a heavy steel cylinder that takes various bits (you might have to grind down the one supplied to fit) .

Inside the block is a cam system so that when you smite it (lump hammer) it turns the bit a fraction of a turn and in general will shift almost anything. It might tear the head off the screw but then you should be able to get mole grips on the bolt.

Find a Rock Bottom type shop, just as good as Halfords for a one off job and a lot cheaper!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Thanks @ecc83 - I must admit I'm a bit reluctant to really give it a belt, as it is a pretty flimsy looking old semi acoustic. Also the hole where the screws are recessed is 35mm by 14mm and there is no way I could get mole grips in when I inevitibly knock the head off the screw.

I was wondering about some of these or the like, where one end you use to drill a hole in the top of the screw and the other then screws into that hole so you can use it to unscrew the bodged screw. Or something

• Ronnie Barker had his methods
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72737
    edited November 2015
    Drill the head off - start with about a 2mm drill in the centre, go in about 5mm, and then work up through the sizes until you just exceed the shaft diameter (probably about 6mm), at which point the head should break off as a circle. You can then pull the stump through with the neck. Then use mole grips to turn the shaft and get it out - heating may also help here.

Obviously you will need to find a new screw afterwards...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM said:
    Drill the head off - start with about a 2mm drill in the centre, go in about 5mm, and then work up through the sizes until you just exceed the shaft diameter (probably about 6mm), at which point the head should break off as a circle. You can then pull the stump through with the neck. Then use mole grips to turn the shaft and get it out - heating may also help here.

Ahh, I really should have thought of that, shouldn't I?

Thanks, I'll have a go at that now :)

Brains, dangerous

Ronnie Barker had his methodsI tried his fork handles

No, I tried his fork handles and I couldn't see a thing :(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Know anyone with a welder? Cut some foil and protect the body around the screw. Spot weld on an old screwdriver and turn? I'd be concerned about snapping the screw, you may not get many more goes at it. Good luck
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    ICBM said:

That's what I meant about the head snapping off, you could pull the neck through it. And sorry, did not realize it was a semi ack!

Yes, try IC's drillin' but! FFS go out and buy brand new bits and spend a decent wedge on some good ones. B&D used to make a "bullit" drill bit that auto centred. Actually you should be able to find a bush or similar that will go into the hole and keep the wee drill centred. Maybe a nut with the corners filed off a bit?

Dave.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Yeah, do it as @ICBM said. And wear safety glasses *important in case something shatters**
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    If all the above fails, try a plug cutter bit, and fill the hole with dowel or similar.
    Thanks everyone - going to buy some new bits, try and find a Bullit drill bit, and dig out the safety spex.

Then I think I'll get my little sis to do it ;)

More annoying questions tomorrow no doubt

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Big screwdriver held in the slot, pushing down and applying some torque in the loosening direction. Tap the other end of the screwdriver with a hammer. The small shocks from the tapping can be enough for the torque to get it to start turning.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Rocker;841120" said:
    Yeah, do it as @ICBM said. And wear safety glasses *important in case something shatters**
    Having had a tiny screw for a string tree explode while doing this, I can attest that this is very sound advice indeed.
  • TimAlTimAl Frets: 25
    Also try TIGHTENING it a bit - as that can break the 'seal' . . .

SCRATCH-IT!
    Custom scratchplates - easily create your own online in seconds
  • derndern Frets: 357
    WD40 is not an effective penetrating fluid, try and get something made for the job like plusgas or halfords make their own. From years of working on cars it'll make a huge difference if penetrating fluid is going to help at all.

Getting some heat into it might help too. I don't know where the screw is but if it isn't that big then holding a more powerful soldering iron on it for a bit is a relatively safe way to direct heat into a screw without burning anything else.

Regards,

Mark