Floyd/two point vintage trem post spacing

daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
edited November 2015 in Making & Modding
So, I'm doing a build that will eventually have a Floyd but in case the guitar doesn't sound or play well enough I want to put a two point vintage type trem on first, that will then go to a future build. So, does anyone know of a good two point trem with the same post spacing as a Floyd? Wilkinson maybe?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Don't Schaller/Floyd do a non locking trem that fits on standard floyd studs ?
    In fact isn't that what's on the current Charvel Guthrie Govan sig ?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    IIRC that has the look of a Floyd but I want a more trad look as I intend to move it to a future strat build
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_vintage_tremolo_3801_c_b_stock.htm

This one. I think that most of the other two post trems tend to have the posts at around 56-57mm spacing absolute max to mimic te outside two screws on a vintage six screw trem. I think the schaller is the only one that uses the 75mm Floyd spacing
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Ibanez SAT pro trems share the Floyd spacing too.  They're actually pretty decent trems, and can be picked up for next to nothing on the Bay of E.

Pretty sure it's just the Original non-locking Floyd, the Ibby and the Schaller which will fit - I remember doing a lot of searching a couple of years ago when looking for the exact same thing.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    Be careful. There's more adjustment range in the Schaller bridge than there is in a Floyd, so it's worth getting the Floyd anyway and making sure the position is correct for it if does turn out to be good enough to upgrade - or you may then find you can't intonate the Floyd.

If you don't want to buy a Floyd first, be sure to get an accurate drawing of the one you want to use so you can work it out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2015
    Always get an original, original Floyd without the fine tuners.  Yeah as IBCM says, Schallers will have up to 5mm difference from Floyds, from the pivots to the saddles, which means if you fit it and it's been routed for a Floyd, the scale length will be too long to intonate and possibly too short if a Schaller was fitted first.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11644
    tFB Trader
    If you get a schaller lockmeister then you are buying an original floyd in all but name

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!