Cant bend and hold strings as I once did....

So... Don't know if this is the correct part of the forum? ... Anyway... Iv started to struggle in holding string bends above the 12 th fret when soloing . It's ok to start off with but After playing for a while my hands start to cramp. I'm 50 and I use les Paul string with 10-52 or 11 -54. I play typical blues rock stuff. I don't play gig as much as I did . so I don't know if it's my age... And I should just accept it and start coming down in string gauge and get my slippers .... :( Or I should start doing more practise or perhaps strength excercises in my hands and fingers to help? Anybody got any similar experiences or tips? Thnx in advance Gu
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think a gauge change ( 10-48 work well for me - conventionally strung , after being on top-wrapped 11-52 for years)  and some more practise time will do the trick Stu, I don't think we "lose" anything as we get older, it just gets a bit harder to preserve what we could once do with ease. Your technique and years of experience will see you through any changes you need to make. 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2015
    I suppose you could try going up a gauge for a couple of weeks, put the same amount of playing time in, go back to 10's and see if your fingers have toughened up. If not, down to 9's you go.  

Just don't sue me if they fall off :D
  • Are you spending time warming up before you go to string bends?

It might be worth trying that first before anything else.  If you've been playing less then it is normal to lose a bit of strength and flexibility meaning which also tends to require needing a bit more warmup time before you try anything strenuous.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    ... Thnx chaps ...
  • I'm only 31 but not exactly Arnie - by that I mean I have thin wrists/arms - when I do acoustic fingerpicking for any length of time things can hurt a bit, or at least get tense
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Are you bending with your fingers or your wrist?
    Mmmm I'd say it's mostly wrist...to start with It's ok and no problem and then I can feel it start to cramp up and I know I've got to come down out of the clouds cos I can't hold it... Half hour earlier perhaps playing a similar or same type of thing no problem.
    Part of it is arthritis I think ... Definate pain in the joint on my second finger....
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited November 2015
    Rheumatoid arthritus runs in my family and all women on my mums side have had carpal tunnels done. I'm currently working for my dad doing lots of manual labour and I can definitely feel it in my wrists.  With working more I was actually playing less but I opted to go down a gauge, when I got back into playing (one 5 hour session) I need to go back up a gauge as I was bending strings while fretting without meaning to.

Do you bend with one finger or three? Using your third finger to bend and supporting it with the other two helps if I need to go higher than semi-tone.

Do you play sitting or stood? Is your guitar at sitting height when stood? The angle of your wrist can play a great part in maintaining good posture so you don't put excess stress on your joints.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    edited November 2015
    I support bends with as many fingers as possible. I may not be able to play especially quickly - but I can control bends with great accuracy - including compound bends.

I know 'macho' theory suggests 'big strings' - but if you're struggling, drop a gauge.
    edited November 2015
    I generally play standing and I do have/ like the strap low... Rawk n rawl low so that may not be helping . And I support with as many fingers as I can fit on and don't play that fast either. I'm going to increase my playing time, and drop a gauge and see how I go . Thnx for advice :) Gu