does learning the wrong thing re-enforce bad habbits

What's Hot
so when we work on something whether its technique ..phrasing...improvising ...correct note choices...iff we dont get all these in place first and correct are we practising to get worse and re-enforcing bad habbits ...
so is it maybe better to take things really slow and be precise about everthing before moving on and the process would probably be quicker and less hours instead of undoing bad habbits later......
thought it would be interesting to discuss..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Absolutely.  Do something wrong enough times and you'll learn the wrong thing just as well as if you did it right.

Of course, sometimes it's those bad habits which make you unique as a player.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes I'd agree it's better to play things slow and precise when learning new techniques and songs. I generally practice what I like. There's no point in learning something you don't just because you think it'll make you better. When I improvise I'd just suggest go with the feel and sound. You can hear the right note choices if you practice improvising enough. I've been studying double stops lately and put that into my lead technique when improvising with my looper and I'm really enjoying it. Also I've been learning some fingerstyle acoustic songs, folk stuff. I'm enjoying that too. I keep with a song till I've finished it mostly. I learnt Little Wing a couple of months back so I thought I'd go into some fingerstyle again. I've also started to get my head around modes. I'm going to practice each one at a time until I can hear the scale and use it musically. I'm up to Dorian but could already play Major and Natural Minor.
  • When you practice, you are programming your motor system. Do NOT program bum notes and bad timing into it! Speed is a by-product of accuracy, make sure the movements are correct before trying to work on agility, and you will probably find that agility comes easier once your muscle memory knows what it is supposed to be doing.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    so can a player actually get worse through a wrong decision of what to practice..even by spending loads of hours on that subject ...
    or
    could another improve by practicing the right materials and even in a lot shorter time

for example maybe
    phrasing ...iff we were to work on new runs or lines and were finishing them on a bad note or out of time or not starting on a good beat...or good note but its sort of ..ok..by practising this way and ignoring these things is it actually making us a worse player..
    verses
    recognising its not quite right and not going any further until it is...making sure the starts and ends are right with good note choices and timing ...

do we sometimes think ...it will be ok ..cos the more i do this it will improve in time ..because anything you do ...iff you do it long enuff you get better at it ....when maybe that isnt the way we should be looking at things..?
    this is just something i have been thinking about today so thought i would share whats in my head....iff anything is in there..