I try to learn something new each day

What's Hot
...and what I learned today, courtesy of the latest Thomann catalogue "Hot Deals", is that there is an electronic tuner for drums. Tune Bot Drum Tuner, order code 283597, price €95. I did check the date on the catalogue, it is November 2015. I thought it might be the April issue.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drums need tuning too.  :)

I can't say I've ever seen any drummer using an electronic device, though. Years ago, I did have an American drummer I did a short tour with ask for an A to tune to - I've never come across anything like that since, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to have this spring thing to help tune drums quickly... stayed in its box for years
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've only just learnt that the Duck Billed Platypus has a venomous claw on one of its back legs. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    Today I learned that Jamison is not as interesting as a Islay malt
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drums need tuning too.  :)

I can't say I've ever seen any drummer using an electronic device, though. Years ago, I did have an American drummer I did a short tour with ask for an A to tune to - I've never come across anything like that since, though.
    It's amazing how many drummers don't know how to tune a drum kit. The difference it makes is huge... but it's a bit of a dark art I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I've only just learnt that the Duck Billed Platypus has a venomous claw on one of its back legs. 
    And how are you supposed to tune a drum kit with that?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited November 2015
    When I'm setting up drums for expansion pack recorded, I split duties between the Tama Tension Watch and the Tunebot. Both are good at what they do and are really useful. I can tune by ear, but I prefer the confirmation of some kind of device to make sure I've got it totally right.

Did the same thing when tuning the drums for the last TNBD album too.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    At a party in a pub last night, I noticed that the band members had a neat pint glass holder on each of their microphone stands.  During the interval, I asked one of the band members about this [thinking it might have been something that he knocked up in his workshop].  He said that he got his from the Sound Factory in Drogheda but that they were available on-line.

This is what they used: http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_16020bk_getraenkehalter.htm whcih costs €8.30 each.  I am out of the band equipment loop for many years but this is simply genius.  Your pint is accessible and you won't risk knocking it over - with the risk of shock from mains wiring, FX pedals being flooded etc.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• My old drummer had a battered old cowbell mounted on his kit, tucked in down near the snare - he rarely hit it but it made a handy ashtray/hideyhole for his spliff.
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom