Any slide gurus on the forum?

What's Hot
I'm spending most of my playing time trying to improve my electric slide technique.  I'm using open E and G tunings with a bit of standard thrown in.  I'm using EB 11-48 Power Slinkys and have the action raised enough to get a clean slide, but low enough to still be able to play conventionally.

I'm still trying to master the right-hand muting..and am slowly getting there. So far so good, except the open tunings really tie me down on note selection and it's very easy to get stuck in a creative rut. 

Are then any experienced electric slide players on the forum who can point me towards some other interesting tunings or techniques etc to help me up my game?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Interested to hear more on this.... 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    finger blocking is the way to go i reckon.....check out Derek Trucks..he rarely uses anything apart from his finger tips to block unused strings takes a bit of practice...i also lay my thumb over the lower strings when playing the high e...you can really dig in with your fore finger then.

there are 2 lessons to watch short but bang on...master this and you are well on the way
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    Thanks @mgaw, that's a great video.  I've been trying to use one finger per string on the top 5 and trying to get each finger independent so that the others are always blocking the string whilst one is picking, but my ring finger has a mind of its own.
    well just practice using the ring finger until its under control.....once you get it sorted its great....
    mgaw said:
    well just practice using the ring finger until its under control.....once you get it sorted its great....
    Indeed, I'm spending time just trying to get it to move independent of my middle and pinky.  One of the techniques I'm using when a guitar isn't around is to place all my fingertips onto a flat surface, like a spider, and then try tapping out a rhythm with just the ring finger, as cleanly as I can with the other fingers of my right hand.  It's not as easy as it sounds!   :)
  • It doesn't matter if your ring finger has a mind of it's own.  Depending on the piece I will either use my ring finger (primarily) or my little finger.  The issue with a lot of people learning to place slide it that they lead with the slide (ring) finger and muting becomes a secondary thought.  You should lead and support with your first and second fingers, which are naturally stronger so become aware of where your ring finger slide is in relation.  Bit by bit as you practice vibrato more you muting fingers will learn the adequate or minimal amount of pressure need to make you more fluid.

Bonnie Raitt is a middle finger slider.  Look at these to photos one using the slide and one without and notice how equally the first finger leads or is anchored -

http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/2012/05/bonnie-raitt-jazzfest-thumb-400x280-112100.jpg

http://images.wolfgangsvault.com/cvfeatures/bonnie-raitt-110813.jpg

Remember that as with any playing her left hand is muting the strings that are lower than the string being played and the right hand is muting those above.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited November 2015
    intersting..i dont do any muting at all with my slide hand...its all with the picking hand...i think its better to be honest Sonny Landreth does it most of the time as does Derek Trucks......i think as you get more accurate in your finger blocking its just way easier

just a footnote the above is me talking shite i do use my finger behind the slide its become an unconscious action...sorry for misleading you there...
    equalsql said:
    mgaw said:
    Indeed, I'm spending time just trying to get it to move independent of my middle and pinky.  One of the techniques I'm using when a guitar isn't around is to place all my fingertips onto a flat surface, like a spider, and then try tapping out a rhythm with just the ring finger, as cleanly as I can with the other fingers of my right hand.  It's not as easy as it sounds!   :)
    I should have said that I'm talking about my right hand here, my actual picking hand.

yep i got that.   same answers apply
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I find open E and G quite rut-like too, though G is my overall favourite.

Experimenting for a while with lap-steel-like 6th tunings (C6, A6) can be an eye-opener because obviously you can mentally switch to using the 6th as the root, and then the old root becomes a minor third. Then you can experiment with harmonised scales without the need for bar-slanting.

Also, check out Sonny Landreth for ideas about fretting behind the bar. 
  • I saw Sonny Landreth play with John Hiatt, amazing. His technique although works incredibly well for him, looks very awkward and crack handed at times. Fingers pointing every way as he frets chords behind the slide.
    I think damping is as much a part of playing with fingers as much as palm damping, as like what has been mentioned, finger tips muting strings which are not being played plus using thumb to mute as well, so if you are muting with thumb and fingers which finger does the plucking ? Well it's what ever is available and what notes you are playing. Think of it as a work out for entire hand. 
  • Tuning wise why not try just dropping your A to G for G6 tuning or just playing Standard ...I play all sorts of slide in standard you can still do all your bluesy chord stuff but can play minors erc easily to ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7442
    Does @Lewy still frequent the forum? He's a damn tidy slide player! 
    Red ones are better. 
    Thanks chaps. Some good tips coming in on this thread.

Keep 'em coming
    :)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    TimmyO said:
    Does @Lewy still frequent the forum? He's a damn tidy slide player! 
    One visits occasionally :)

For single-note electric playing where you're not having to self-accompany on the bass strings I think Standard is as good a tuning as any if you find the open tunings limiting, and I think finger blocking is the way to go for damping. But to be honest, I'm not really into that style of slide playing. Derek Trucks mostly just sounds like bursts of bloopy note diarrhea to me :)

But for more traditional slide playing, where the slide is an integrated part of a broader more self contained arrangement, I actually prefer to try and use as little damping as possible, and rely on angling or tipping the slide to only slide on the the string/strings I want, as opposed to having it in contact with strings I don't want, and then having to find ways of damping. That's also how you get that lovely reverb sound from sympathetic vibrations.