This is really cool!

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited November 2015 in Technique
A friend showed me this recently.

I was very impressed... I love the style of playing you see at around 0:26-0:38, with all the slides, fast but totally seamless position changes and weird, wide chords etc... I know one guy who plays a little bit like this (he's influenced by Periphery and Veil of Maya, who do a similar thing in a modern metal context) and I can't for the life of me work out how he does it. Where does this style of playing come from? If I had to guess I'd say it's a 70s progressive rock thing which has been evolved...

The most amazing thing is at 1:10 though, where he appears to actually be sliding to change the pitch of natural harmonics. I can't work out if this is even real, let alone how the fuck he does it. I didn't think this was possible.

I'm envious of his hair too.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChéChé Frets: 305
    Dude, tha 1:00 mark is sublime.
  • Lovely! Just realised its that old gypsy kings tune....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited November 2015
    Clever, but tedious imho and wtf was that tone !!! If you want to hear gymnastic guitar playing with a better tone and more feel, check out Daniel Gottardo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    It is very clever and the technique is way beyond my comprehension but I just didn't find it pleasing to the ears. Still as always each to their own.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited November 2015
    It sounds like those harmonics might be being moved by the trem?  Whatever he's doing with his fingers isn't what's happening there.  If you move your finger from a natural harmonic it will stop it resonating.
  • Whenever I see anyone do harp harmonics it reminds me of when I first heard Tommy Emmanuel doing them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom