Bass for recording

domforrdomforr Frets: 326
Hi, I'm a guitar player that just needs bass for recording purposes, in a variety of styles (rock, pop, folk, experimental etc). This has probably been asked a million times but any recommendations for something under £250 new or second hand? A short scale would be handy for space reasons as well and I have quite small hands, so nothing with a huge neck if possible. Not sure I quite understand the benefits of either active or passive pickups but something reasonably quiet for recording would also be preferable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a good quality, not too dear, versatile recording bass it's hard to look much past a Squier Jaguar bass.  Either the Vintage Modern or is you wish they do make a short scale version.  It gives you the pickup voicings for both a Precision and Jazz bass.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Excellent suggestion - been looking at that one, but wasn't quite sure of the quality sound wise. Seems to have pretty good reviews though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Look for a P Bass Lyte- it is a Japanese P/J hybrid with a skinny neck.
    Active electronics, so great for recordings
    They can be had for under £300.
    They pop up on Basschat fairly often.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Basses can be surprising. My bassist has a Aria he bought second hand for £60. For certain styles of music, it's unbeatable - just has an incredible midrange grind and aggression, and the neck plays well.

At school I remember most bassist having a Squire bass, and they always seemed to sound good.
  • @Kebabkid has a Sire Marcus Miller, IIRC, which is an active jazz style bass from thomann for £275. Jazz 's generally have slimmer necks than Precision styles. Although I have fat little fingers I generally approach bass differently than picking up a guitar so the neck thing isn't that big an issue.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cirrus said:
    Basses can be surprising. My bassist has a Aria he bought second hand for £60. For certain styles of music, it's unbeatable - just has an incredible midrange grind and aggression, and the neck plays well.

At school I remember most bassist having a Squire bass, and they always seemed to sound good.
    The used £60 Vintage bass I bought for my son ( nothing but the best for you laddy...) is fine for general root-fifth purposes. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Cirrus said:

The used £60 Vintage bass I bought for my son ( nothing but the best for you laddy...) is fine for general root-fifth purposes. 

I am always surprised (and a little disappointed) by the fact that I will nearly always choose my ancient Hohner P/J style bass over my Fender Jazz. It just delivers so much more clout. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I can't recommend the Sire MM V7 enough. A bassist mate who's 3xperienced and semi-pro popped over yesterday to try it and was well and truly WOWED by it and said this could easily be an £6-800 bass. For the same price, you're in used or Classic Vibe/MIM territory and as good as they are for the money, this really is in a different league with more pro tones and versatility. The active side is superb!
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Managed to get a B stock one of these for under £300 which I think looks like  a pretty good deal: http://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v7_alder_5_bk.htm
  • Sexy. :-B
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Nice one @domforr and let us know how you get on with the 5-string. Allow about 5-7 days for it to arrive but you're kept well informed by Thomann.