Cabronita tone control - again - Sorted!

RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
edited November 2015 in Making & Modding
OK, recently picked up a new Mex La Cab in Candy Apple Red, nice, very 'hot rod'. Having trouble with the tone (or lack of control) and, having read through the previous posts on here was wondering if I could simply put a 0.001 cap between the 'in' and 'out' on the volume control?

Would this help to tame the screech when it's flat out and stop it being muddy when turned down?

Or is a 500K/500K dual concentric the best/easiest way to go?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    A treble pass cap will stop the mud when it's turned down but won't help with the screech, unless you also then set the amp with less treble.

A dual concentric pot is definitely the best solution if you don't want to drill another hole.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31735
    The only advantage of a treble pass cap in your situation is that you won't be afraid to reduce the overall treble on the amp, because the guitar will stay lively when you turn its volume down.
    I have a Hello Kitty Strat I use the same way, though 470pf cap is perfectly adequate for my tastes.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Right, dual concentric it is. I've just ordered a dual 500K, and a .022 cap, presumably treat it just like wiring up a Tele with two separate pots when wiring between the two sections?

Still thinking of using the 0.001 as a treble bleed thingy to keep the higher frequencies when turning down the volume though.
    Yes, wire it exactly as normal - the two pots are only physically on the same bushing, otherwise they are separate just as on a standard Tele. The only thing to think about is which way round you want the volume and tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Done.

Parts arrived, handily I was sent a dual 250K pot instead of a 500. A bit of head scratching later I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try the 250 given how bright the pickups were.  The pot was very small, probably 2/3 the size of a normal push/pull pot so had it's own unique challenges wiring it neatly.  Took a bit of time and care and got it together looking pretty neat.

Results are very good.  The pot value hasn't seemed to make any difference.  Fitting the 0.001 treble bleed/bypass cap has kept the desired tone at whatever volume, although of course it is still pretty bright with the tone all the way up.  The 0.022 tone cap gives a nice roll off without it getting muffly and the volume roles off very evenly.

If anyone else is considering this mod I would suggest trying 250K pots and these cap values as it gives a much nicer roll off than the stock 500K single pot.

Was struggling slightly to love the guitar with the on/off volume and tone, now it's a keeper for sure!
    I quite like 250Ks with lower-output humbuckers too, and I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference to the tone but more to the taper, even if both are Log - a subtle difference, but useful.

I once did some direct-swapping testing with pots and resistors added with a switch to simulate other values, and there was really no audible tone change up to about +/- a third of the value, and barely even at that.