Pickup suggestions/experiences.

What's Hot
Hello all, 

So, I'm looking for some ideas/suggestions on some replacement pickups. 

Here's the background:

I recently acquired a PRS Custom 24 Floyd SE. While I realise this is far from being a high end PRS (or even the highest spec guitar in my collection) it seems to be (for whatever reason) the guitar I find myself playing the most. I think it's a feel thing, it seems to suit my playing style more than anything else I own. 

However, up until now my main guitar has been an Ibby JS1200. Now obviously this is a better spec axe and has a great set of pups in it (Dimarzio Fred & PAF Joe for those of you not up on Ibanez).

So here is the rub - I find myself wondering how much more the PRS will give me with a new set of pups, as it's current set aren't a patch on what I'm used to. 

These days I'm mostly playing rock and blues but still like to get my shred on now and again. 

Loving the tone I get from the Dimarzio's in the JS I'm thinking that I might install a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. 

Does anybody have any experience/horror stories of these? 
Or any other suggestions (away from the Dimarzios) that might suit this guitar and the styles I like to play?

Any suggestions, tails of joy, tails of woe or general words of advise will be welcome. 

Thanks. 

Andy
All the right notes, not always in the right order!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Air Norton/Tone Zone is a classic combo and sounds great.

Do however have to give a big shout out to our UK pickup makers, Marc at Mojo and especially (from my own experience) Ash at Oil City. Talk directly to these guys and you can get pickups wound to exactly what you need at very reasonable prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Richardj, ;

Great advise. I have to say, until I joined this forum I hadn't heard of Oil City, but it seems Ash comes highly recommended indeed. 

He's @TheGuitarWeasel on here right? Maybe it would be good to have a set of UK made pups in the arsenal. I'll PM him and see what he suggests. 

Thanks again.  
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Yup, @TheGuitarWeasel. I'm currently rocking his pickups in my US Strat and Blade Tele and they are pretty special.
  • I PM'd him, 

Thanks again for the advise. 1 x Wisdom for you Sir. 

• Another plus one for oil city. Bare Knuckle are great too.
    To be honest oil city are the same if not better sounding pickups than BKP and a fraction of the price
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Mkjackary said:
    Another plus one for oil city. Bare Knuckle are great too.
    To be honest oil city are the same if not better sounding pickups than BKP and a fraction of the price
    Cheaper, but I wouldn't say 'a fraction' of the price!

Just ordered some Oil City pups myself. I like the idea of buying British, getting something more hand made rather than one of a million churned out, and also supporting a forum member. Normally I'd say I can't wait for them to turn up, but as the guitar is still a long way off of being built I will have to wait anyway!
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited November 2015
    axisus;847111" said:
    Mkjackary said:

Another plus one for oil city. Bare Knuckle are great too.

Cheaper, but I wouldn't say 'a fraction' of the price!

Just ordered some Oil City pups myself. I like the idea of buying British, getting something more hand made rather than one of a million churned out, and also supporting a forum member. Normally I'd say I can't wait for them to turn up, but as the guitar is still a long way off of being built I will have to wait anyway!
    See for me they are.
    A set of bare knuckle singles are 175 quid.
    A set of oil city singles is 99 quid.

That is just under 4/7ths of the price so technically it is a fraction ;)

I would still choose oil city even if they were bare knuckle prices (but don't tell Ash that!)
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited November 2015
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Mkjackary said:.

That is just under 4/7ths of the price so technically it is a fraction
    Ok, I'll give you that! Some years since I bought BK so I'm a bit out of touch.
  • Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

I'm in conversation with Ash and it looks like I'll be ordering from him. As @axisus says, I like the idea of keeping it British and helping a forum member too. 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    +1 for Oil City. Ash makes superb pickups.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5735
    If you like DiMarzio I highly recommend the AT-1 Andy Timmons sig pup. I have one in my PRS CE24 and it's a great sounding pickup. Other pickups I'm using at the moment that I wouldn't be without; Wolfetone Dr Vintage set and David Allen P51 Mustang set - both are definately more blues/rock oriented than shred but the tone is incredible.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Dimarzios like higher gain more than cleanish. Never had a BKP pickup I didn't like, or Lollars. And of course some secondhand Gibson Classic 57s are always worth a try for classic bluescand rock, as are the Gibson 490 neck, 498 bridge, which between them powered an awful lot of Les Pauls on all those classic tracks! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom