Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm old(56)never played live/never been in a band,too late to do so?

What's Hot
I can play guitar a bit but at 56 think I may have left it too late to play live with a band,only want to do a few covers of punk/classic rock,have decent guitar but not sure what sort of amp etc I would need to play a uk pub gig etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Get to a few local jam nights, and have some fun.

You'll get to play live, and meet like minded individuals (or reprobates like me).

Generally for pub sized gigs a 40-50watt 1x12 or 2x12 combo amp will be more than enough. Unless your drummer is the offspring of Keith Moon and Animal from the Muppets.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I say go for it. The 'I can play guitar a bit' statement makes it sound that you are yearning to get on stage and have a blast. It hasn't stopped Keith Richards or Pete Townshend! Amongst others. I thought that I could play a bit when I was 18..... 40 years on and I realise that I can't!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    If you want to do it, I'd say go for it. There's no age limit to having fun!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'm 52 and I haven't either. Never will, I'm chicken but also not good enough.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72602
    edited November 2015
    I'm not good enough either and it's never stopped me! I'm 48 now.

These days you can get a giggable amp for very little. In fact if you're playing punk you probably don't want anything too posh - you could get anything from a second hand Peavey Bandit for about £100 to a new Jet City valve amp and cab for about £400, both will easily do the job. Or anything in between...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I started playing age 15 and had a few stage performances but didn't really play in a band until age 30... last year!!!
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited November 2015
    If you can find a group of people who sit in a Pub and play Guitar and sing with cord song books then go and have fun like me if your around Bristol pm me I will let you know when

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Go for it. There is nothing more fun (with your clothes on, at least) and - generally speaking - everyone watching will wish you well. If I have once piece of advice it would be to play well within yourself at first - don't pick anything that you get right one time in three at rehearsals! A jam night is a good start, but equally putting a couple of songs together with some like-minded individuals at a mates birthday is a good stepping stone.

As to amps, I'd say anything from 20W and up is good these days, and some 10-15W are fine. Depends on how clean you need it, really. My Palmer 5W can do dirty to fill most pubs, and I've never pushed my 40W amp above 4 on the master live.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    I can play guitar a bit but at 56 think I may have left it too late to play live with a band,only want to do a few covers of punk/classic rock,have decent guitar but not sure what sort of amp etc I would need to play a uk pub gig etc.
    You haven't left it too late at all.  Punk/ classic rock is Marshall territory but Blackstar do it too.  An HT 20 and a 2*12 cab will cover any pub gig with ease with the sound you want.

I started gigging late.  Gigging once or twice a week now.  Just got back from one as it happens.  Covering the same sort of material and using mostly a Marshall JVM410 head or an Orange CR120 head, and a 2*12 cab.
  • I'd suggest go for it but first pause for five minutes to think what you can offer as a band member. The more you can offer the more desirable you become, basic competence on guitar is relatively common, being a good band member isn't. Things that come to mind: 1) don't wait for a perfect band, one that only plays the songs you want to do and the types of gigs you want to play. Unless you organise everything yourself this will never happen. You can enjoy playing songs you wouldn't normally listen to. 2) be up for the kind of stuff that band members typically avoid: booking rehearsal rooms, making posters, trying to book gigs. 3) can you  offer additional talents - especially backing vocals even if just shout along ones ( assuming the band has a PA buying yourself a mic and stand isn't that expensive) or second instrument or knowledge of how to set up the PA, etc. 4) Enthusiasm is the most important thing you can bring, appreciated by members and audience members alike. Without enthusiasm, well, you're probably just a sax player. 5) don't be a dick. Only people with exceptional talent get to last in bands if they are dicks. Oh, at 50 I'm the second youngest in our band. Tonight the chap from the agency who booked us came and saw us and said how much he liked our energy and enthusiasm. Although my back hurts now and I'm going to be cranky in the morning... :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I first played guitar at the age of 51, first played live at 53 and first sang live at 55.  It's never too late to start. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I first played live when I was 20 - at that point in my life I was crippled by shyness. It was so bad that I struggled to look someone in the eye when I was talking to them - so although my playing was reasonable, I found early gigs very difficult.

Now I'll talk to anybody and although I've not played live for over 20 years, I wouldn't hesitate if the right opportunity were to arise.

My advice is to do it - confront your fear - you'll be fine.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Never too late for one.

I'm a very average player and it hasn't stopped me playing plenty of gigs.

Amp wise as above 40 watts would do it. For a cheap reliable amp you could do worse than a peavey bandit.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Go for it.
  • Thanks to everyone for the encouragement,I think it's something I have to do,one problem is I have never even jammed with other players but I guess that can be overcome as well,anyway thanks again,I will keep you informed with my progress,who knows,you might be at one of my gigs!!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    As long as you can keep time. Get stuck in.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I put off playing for so long because I thought I needed to get better (and not embarrass myself) but I should have realised that when you embrace mistakes and get out there and do it, you advance quicker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

In my last hard rock covers band we had:

Singer: 40's
    2nd Guitarist: 50's
    Bassist: 60
    Drummer: 65

And we were covering Iron Maiden and Metallica.

So no, you are not too old at all.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Blokes your age tend to actually turn up to gigs and rehearsals.
    Blokes your age tend not to tell stupid lies to bandmates.
    Blokes your age tend to have actually learned the songs when they say they have.
    Blokes your age tend to have cars of their own.

The list can go on. 
    There are some reliable young people out there but they are much more rare than they are in the 'Mature' age bracket.;

Go for  it man. It can be as much fun as "One of those parties" but often i found it's much easier to find and gain access to !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I'm 60 and did my first gig in 1974. Played hundreds during the 70's and early 80's and then gave up when work, family, etc got too much. I was coaxed out of retirement by an old band mate in 1996 and I've been at it ever since. Played with 5 or 6 bands since then and still gig once or twice a month. Current band does 80's Rock so Dio, Rainbow, Sabbath, AC/DC, etc - great fun! Get out there, you'll love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom