Vocal technique question

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Nothing constructive relating to my own singing really (what little there is of it) but just something I'm wondering.

How the ever-loving piss does Devin Townsend do that pitched screaming thing?

Example at 6:35 onward:

2:30 (one of my favourite moments in all of recorded music):

All of this, but the best bit's at 3:15:

I mean... obviously he's got a ridiculous range and a great amount of power behind his voice, but how do you actually scream like that, at that volume, and attach an actual pitch to it so you can "sing" melodies?

I should clarify - he's really fucking loud when he's doing it, he's really belting it. I was at the Albert Hall gig in April, which the first video's from, and I remember that even with earplugs in, his voice penetrated right through and still made my ears ring. That scream could strip paint off a wall, it's ridiculous. And it just sounds so awesome.

Anyone know how it's done?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Growl + head voice, no?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited November 2015
    It's a mixed belt combined with overloading of the frontal resonator, with plenty of fry scream. On a technical level it's the same thing that all those terrible screamo bands do.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2015

It's slightly complex as you asked about a vocal technique yet actually it is a style that is almost completely contrary to every bit of vocal technique ever advised.  It is basically shouting/screaming in tune hopefully.  One very important thing to remember before even attempting this is that at the point Devin does it he is well and truly warmed up and only uses it as an effect for a very short period otherwise he would fuck his voice.

The ability to do it can be helped by tonal qualities of the voice and your range, Jared Leto being an example of someone who floats around this.  Ultimately though unless your Bobcat Goldthwait it'll will be putting strain on your voice and damaging your vocal chords.  Mind you maybe some chicks really dig lumpy vocal chords.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    @Randomhandclaps - have you watched any of the Melissa Cross stuff? I got the two DVD's recently. Lots of useful concepts in there that I wasn't fully aware of before.
  • Listened again - think Drew has it right
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's a technique using the false folds of your vocal chords Devin is particularly good a it he can control it and pitch it really well. (He is a musical genius imo). My singer in the Chillis band can do it. He switches it on and off at will but he can't explain how he does it. It's a technique with a touch of genetics
    I'm not sure it's false chords. Could be, but doesn't sound like it to me.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    @Randomhandclaps - have you watched any of the Melissa Cross stuff? I got the two DVD's recently. Lots of useful concepts in there that I wasn't fully aware of before.

@Drew_FX - Not seen any of her vids but just watched a couple.  She sounds like she's on a similar mission to Mrs RHC's old vocal coach who made it her mission to take vocalists who had become famous with awful technique and retrain the to protect their voices.  Kelly Jones was her first big target. 

One thing I really like about what I've so far watched of Melissa Cross's stuff is she helps people accept that sometimes you are going to look like a tit and when you fully open your voice you often do and you feel it.  Sometimes even recording Mrs RHC pushes me to do stuff that sets me off pissing myself because I know I look like a dick but it usually works.

So much of vocal delivery comes from genetic make up that I always feel it's a dangerous road chasing a vocal sound, rather than finding your own voice and learning to support it.  Very few singers are completely comfortable in a multitude of approaches and ranges.  I used to work with a lady who had been Kurt Cobain's vocal coach when they first came over here.  Surprisingly to some Kurt had very good technique (or more precisely support of his voice) and the voice he had was natural.  Unfortunately though so many people have damaged their voices trying to emulate 'his' sound.  Axl Rose and Thom Yorke are two similar case.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    I'm not so sure, I think most people have more or less the same equipment vocally just with a predisposition towards using it in different ways. Its like athletics, only a few are ever born to become champion sprinters but most healthy people can run "fast", when trained for it.
    edited November 2015
    Also on the topic of melissa cross and aggressive vocals in general:

I had both her DVDs and theres a bit of a gap in it I think since as random handclaps says I get the sense her material is meant for guys who are already in bands, ruining their voices and need some technique or training in how to dial it back a bit and gain some control. 

It wasn't really useful to me as a starting point because theres no part wheres she's like "ok, now growl". Its all about relieving tensions but she doesent really give you much instruction on how to get going, so I spent ages thinking that all tension is inherently bad and voice ruining.

Theres another tape Ive got though called "secrets of screaming" or something like that which I found way more useful, because the guy basically outlines his view that aggressive vocals are about managing tensions rather than having none at all, about giving your body permission to get a little loose and gritty without it immediately panicing and clenching up. 

I need to return to the melissa cross stuff with that in mind because I think I'd get more out of it now. 

Any link for that video @Hugbot?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    I remember Tracy (his wife) describing (on the Hevy Devy forum)how Devin used to lock himself in the freezers (when he worked at a supermarket) to practice his screaming technique.

I reckon he does it better than anyone in the world, he was gifted an amazing voice and he worked on it a lot.
    Drew_fx;848503" said:
    Any link for that video @Hugbot?
    I'll dig it up when I'm back home.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Drew_fx;848402" said:
    I'm not sure it's false chords. Could be, but doesn't sound like it to me.
    It seems to be a mix. The singer that I know that can do it can switch it on and off like a switch. It doesn't hurt his main singing voice too much I should try and video him doing it. It fascinates me I think what sets him apart is the strength of his natural voice
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

That's nothing check out 0.54 falsetto and 2.54 chest/head voice 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOvm0wl1qI

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited November 2015
    I just love Devin on Vai's Dirty Black Hole - gotta be one of the most exciting songs ever, in fact I would say it's an almost perfect creation. It actually leaves me breathless. It's an assault from start to finish apart from that soaring moment of relief in Steve's guitar solo, like in Matrix Revolutions when Neo's spacecraft bursts momentarily through the clouds into the sunshine before descending again into the onslaught. Devin's voice is terrifying, accurate and relentless. :)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a great album.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    ^ Wiz Ross. Apart from Pig obviously!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    I love Pig. It is silly but cool.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Still My Bleeding Heart and Dirty Black Hole are my favourites from that album, vocally.

I love the bit after the solo in In My Dreams With You as well... that's some serious power. In fact, that deserves a mention too. 3:20:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."