Is a 1/4" Router substantial enough for a body build?

What's Hot
I've seen that the Bosch POF is only £60 at Homebase here and having seen it recommended thought it might a good option.  Only query really is the chuck size.  I'm unlikely to be building many bodies at all, potentially only one, but will the 1/4" chuck be big enough and burly enough for shaping the templates and then the body or is a 1/2" needed?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16816
    As long as you are not doing bulk removal its fine. Cut close to the line so the router is only tidying up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1813
    Nice one, cheers.  Sounds like it could be a goer
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    My router is 1/4 inch. It's over 20 years old and has built furniture, helped renovate my house AND build guitars. Bulk removal is fine, the key is taking it easy and using quality bits such as CMT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good info, thank you
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11649
    tFB Trader
    My only caveat is that working with an underpowered router rather than the size of the cutter is when most accidents happen as the router struggles with the timber and judders/shakes. As Wez said don't ask too much of it in one go

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

So lots of smaller passes and taking care.  I can do that.  Guess that's fine for me doing a one-off as I have no time constraint.  If I had loads more to build then I can see the advantage of a bigger stronger one.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    edited November 2015
    I may be lucky in that my router is an Elu. A bit of a classic! Here's a body cavity it did, halfway finished. https://community.muselive.com/uploads/default/28849/094b2e327b23a51a.jpg
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8792
    1/4 inch router do eventually wear out if you work them too hard. Mine has just given up after 45 years. Don't overload it, and you'll be alright. Take multiple thin cuts. Keep clearing the shavings out of the way
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.