What do I need?

BeexterBeexter Frets: 599

OK, so I have an amp WITHOUT an effects loop. I want a simple box that I can put in between the speaker output on my amp head and the cab, with a line out that can tap an instrument level signal out via a 1/4 jack which I can then run through some effects pedals and into the PA. I want to add in some effects (mainly delay/ reverb) post amp distortion. Kind of like a Suhr ISO Line Out but with a built in speaker sim so I can run straight into the PA and not into another amp.

Does it exist? All the boxes I've come across are line/mic level outputs via XLR.

Any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    The Fryette Power Station will do all that, according to their website anyway.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Having done a bit more research, the ADA GCS-3 or the Palmer PDI-03 JB look like they might fit the bill. Anyone have any experience of those 2 boxes? The Fryette is a bit too spendy for me...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    The Sequis Motherload Elemental will do what you want, although it's not cheap and may be discontinued now. It's also an attenuator, which you may not need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• H&K Red Box DI would do want you want so long as your effects are happy with a line level signal (not all are). Bear in mind, you will need some form of speaker simulation on the PA feed (which the RED Box will give you) or you're going to get a very fizzy sound

If you want to get more sophisticated (i.e. expensive) the Torpedo Cabs load/direct boxes seem to have a really good reputation..
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I thought the red box only had xlr out...
  • You just need an XLR-to-Jack cable.

I'm basing this on an older version of the Red Box that I've got tucked away somewhere (but haven't used for years). My memory is that it has both 'speaker through' (jack) and 'line out' (XLR) outputs. There is a newer version of the Red Box with various switches on it - I have no idea if that version has the same outputs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    XLR-to-jack will work, but the signal level at the FX unit may be a bit on the low side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Palmer PDI-09? You have a (switched choice) of o/p levels
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself