Kids today....scalextric kind of

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• underdog said:
    not_the_dj;854964" said:
    The Anki one looks a bit too video gamey for my kids (4 and 7)...and we don't have enough smartphones/tablets anyway.....but the Real FX looks ideal......I'll have a word with Santa.
    Real FX is £75 in Tesco, even cheaper if you have club card points to double up.

My boy is only 5, I think the fact crashing doesn't happen with the anki will stop the frustration he has with slot cars :D

£69 from Amazon, and we have vouchers to redeem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Ah it was more expensive than that on there when I looked the mother day. Looks awesome the real fx, I like the fact you have the option to use the cars in completely unassisted mode.
  • So the Real FX was delivered yesterday (ordered from Amazon very late on Friday night and delivered on Sunday, and that's just using the free super saver I'm not on prime option). You can say what you like about their tax paying but that's brilliant service.

Anyway it's an Xmas present for my two boys, but of course I had to get it all out last night.....you know just to test it all works 
    ;)

Excellent fun. They've got a Junior Scalextric and we'd been looking to go to a proper larger set, but they're so bloody expensive, so for £69 quid this is awesome.

The Anki thing looks great, but my kids aren't (yet) onto computer/tablet games so the Real FX is better suited to them.

So thanks @underdog for starting this thread, I had no idea this stuff was out there.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited November 2015
    one of the most fun I ever had with my Saclextrix was by accident. A GFs young brother got that Race n Chase Matchbox set one Xmas and I said you want to see a real set and so took my Scalextrix round to his where they had a massive house to lay it out.

His older brother put his smaller Matchbox cars on the SX set and they flew round so fast you couldn't see them for the blur! *mismatch in motor voltages.

Much better fun as they rarely flew off!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    So the Real FX was delivered yesterday (ordered from Amazon very late on Friday night and delivered on Sunday, and that's just using the free super saver I'm not on prime option). You can say what you like about their tax paying but that's brilliant service.

Anyway it's an Xmas present for my two boys, but of course I had to get it all out last night.....you know just to test it all works  ;)

Excellent fun. They've got a Junior Scalextric and we'd been looking to go to a proper larger set, but they're so bloody expensive, so for £69 quid this is awesome.

The Anki thing looks great, but my kids aren't (yet) onto computer/tablet games so the Real FX is better suited to them.

So thanks @underdog for starting this thread, I had no idea this stuff was out there.
    I've ordered the anki but am tempted to get real fx too and decide which is best suited to him and send one back. The bit about the anki I don't like is the smart phone use, though understand it's the only way they could do it really.

Glad the thread helped someone, the fx really does look like it takes slot cars to an amazing next level.

edited November 2015
    OK had a quick 10 minute go on anki overdrive and even my wife had a go and admitted it's probably the coolest toy she's ever seen :D

Very impressed with it, only had one race in one player mode in the tournament, even after just 2 battles you could see the difference the upgrades had made to the car.

I've notice they're now selling it in Argos which they weren't the other week.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2015
    How are you getting on with the anki overdrive? 

My kids are loving the Real FX, so much better than scalextric....but it's eating batteries! Each car takes 3xAAA and by the book that should give 4 hours flat out....so since Xmas we're on our third set in each car!....but it's a lot of fun. 
    edited December 2015
    not_the_dj;913415" said:
    How are you getting on with the anki overdrive? 

My kids are loving the Real FX, so much better than scalextric....but it's eating batteries! Each car takes 3xAAA and by the book that should give 4 hours flat out....so since Xmas we're on our third set in each car!....but it's a lot of fun. 
    It's amazing and Amazon ballsed up and sent me 2 sets so we have a lot of track. Last night we had a party and it was amazing watching kids and drunk adults having a ball on it for hours on end. We had tracks then run up on to sofas etc

The cars have an internal battery which takes about 5mins on the charging station to full then lasts about 4 or so races, so we just build a new track while the cars charge :D

The technology that goes in to it is quite scary and when you have 2 humans and 2 AI cars on the track it's amazing watching them learn how you are going to try and take them down.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

https://youtu.be/GtwkRd6zHwg

From around 0-50........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    underdog;852395" said:
    I'm torn between the anki overdrive and the reaol fx racing for my boy. The real fx is cheaper and more traditional affair (no weapons etc) and doesn't require smartphone to control it, bit the anki looks more fun and easier.
    Got the Real Fx for the kids. You can actually drive the things and at 50 quids in Amazon it is a no brainier against 150 for the Anki Drive.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Got my ten-year-old the Anki for Xmas. It's great but interest seems to be waning pretty fast (and he's car mad). Not much track in the basic set and the extras are an outrageous ripoff

edited December 2015
    My little one is loving anki (he's 5) he likes playing against the ai drivers too, though they are incredibly cocky.

This was tonight's battle ground :D
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    We got my father-in-law this for Christmas and he loves it!
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JohnPerry;913507" said:
    Got my ten-year-old the Anki for Xmas. It's great but interest seems to be waning pretty fast (and he's car mad). Not much track in the basic set and the extras are an outrageous ripoff
    I think of it like printer ink, the £30 you pay for your inkjet nowhere near comes close to covering the cost of the tech, R&D and manufacture of it, but they have to price it to sell, then the cost of the ink is used to cover those costs.

It's the same with this I can't imagine the £140 the starter kit costs comes anywhere close to the amount of man hours, the amount of tech and app development it took to get it to where it is, but they have to get units in homes so they make the money on the extras.

I'm going to wait for Amazon to do their monthly reduce the cars to £35 then I will pick up 2 (already got 4 cars but 2 of each in the starter set so it gets confusing with all 4 on the track).

Like I said I was lucky in that Amazon delivered 2 (and charged for one) so have extra track and 4 cars, but the cross over piece would open up so many more track options.