60s baja?

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
Anyone have much experience of these versus the regular 60s classic model? I fancy a new tele and want a rosewood board this time. I'd love an AVRI 64 model but highly doubt I could stretch to that which leaves me looking at the baja and classic series.

I definitely won't use the extra switching from the s1 and will probably get rid of that and the 4 way switch but pickups I won't have to upgrade will be a bonus.

Any 60s style models I've missed? I'm going to head out over the weekend to a few music stores but wanted some opinions in case I've missed something obvious.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Hey man, if you want to head down my way for a coffee on Saturday i can take you to meet a friend who runs the local music shop here. They are a Fender dealer and he is a great bloke with great prices. You can demo it all you like and he normally has that model in. 
    Let me know if you fancy it and i will stagger down there with you. I havn't seen him in a while any way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Cheers dude sounds like a plan I'll give you a shout when I finish work later.
  • Every baja I've played has been a boat anchor (I've played a few). I was interested in getting one a while ago.

I believe the good ones are very good... but I've not come across one yet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a regular Classic 60s, it's a really good Tele, can't fault it.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    I have a Baja, Its light, resonant and plays lovely. cannot fault it at all. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • The necks are really big on the new ones, I prefer the modern radius to the  60's though and the pickups are decent. Try looking at the secondhand and buy in person, You can also find older whiteguard blonde ones that you can change the guard to black on.
    Winny_Pooh;854023" said:
    The necks are really big on the new ones, I prefer the modern radius to the  60's though and the pickups are decent. Try looking at the secondhand and buy in person, You can also find older whiteguard blonde ones that you can change the guard to black on.
    It's the 60s baja with a rosewood board I'm looking at. Are you talking about the older maple neck 50s baja?
  • I reckon you won't find anywhere near as many boat anchors in the 60s alder version compared to the ash-bodied 50s.
  • There's the 62 reissue MIJ model.
    I've played a 64 AVRI (alder) model and it's not a million miles away from my MIJ 62 reissue and considering Thomann do 64 reissue pickups for less than a ton you can upgrade and save a lot of money.
    I had forgotten about the MIJ tele customs. The necks are pretty slim on those though aren't they?
  • Adam_MD said:
    I had forgotten about the MIJ tele customs. The necks are pretty slim on those though aren't they?
    No mine is very 60's like if compared to the AVRI models.
  • Adam_MD;854111" said:
    [quote="Winny_Pooh;854023"]The necks are really big on the new ones, I prefer the modern radius to the  60's though and the pickups are decent. Try looking at the secondhand and buy in person, You can also find older whiteguard blonde ones that you can change the guard to black on.
    It's the 60s baja with a rosewood board I'm looking at. Are you talking about the older maple neck 50s baja? [/quote]

I was comparing baja necks to the classic series necks. Not played a rosewood neck baja. Just a sham they don't do the classic or 69/72 profile with modern radii or frets
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3639
    I must admit the '60's Baja in sonic blue has caught my eye. Lovely looking things.

Trying to find one to trade for my Classic Player Jag.
  • I got a MIJ 62 bound a few weeks back and it's amazing, picked it up for under £700. Tried the Baja and was definitely worth the extra I felt.
  • RichardsGuitarsRichardsGuitars Frets: 260
    edited September 2016
    oops
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom