1 HB, 1 P90, 1 volume control - 250k or 500k?

1 HB, 1 P90, 1 volume control. 250k or 500k - What would be the best option?

Also, what cap for the tone? I realise that it's subjective but I need to start somewhere!

Pots are usually Log for volume and linear for tone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I always go for 500k pots with humbuckers and p90s. I can't be bothered mucking around with caps I also usually fit orange drop 0.022 I find they work fine for me.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Depends totally on which pickups they are, really - some P90's sound horrendously bright with 500k, and some humbuckers sound rather sweet with 250k but a bit harsh with 500k.

500k is probably the safe option though, as it's far easier to tame overly bright pickups than add bite which isn't there.

Definitely log for volume, but personally I prefer log for tone controls too.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72758
    I would go with the standard 500K and .022uF unless proven otherwise.

Tone pots should *always* be Log unless you want them to work almost like a switch at the bottom end - some people like this for 'tone control wah' - or you're using a very low value like 100K for a jazz tone.

I generally prefer Log for volume as well, it cleans up an overdriven sound better - ie as a gain control - but if you want it as an actual volume control for a clean sound Linear can work better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein