Cryptolocker. Nasty malware

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Given that I want to do Pen-testing and Digital Forensics I think I'd be more likely to be working for them than hacking them ;)

I can just see me working in a group like the NSA - they're all about the personal freedom and individuality right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    yep - recent polls showed NSA employees were free to use facebook privileges to snoop on their spouses and partners. Can't get more personal freedom than that.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    bertie said:
    not just back up your files,   you need to take a proper image copy of your system partition !!!  

Something like Acronis True Image   (about £30)  is what you need
    @bertie I've just discovered that I have that on my computer.  So, I've now made an image (took a while and is kind of big)... do I have to do anything with it?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    two things Oli.   there's Acronis True Image,  an Acronis back up...........they is not the same.

basically,  you need to store the image somewhere safe ie on a USB disk.  You also need to create a recovery disk from within the Acronis utility (CD/DVD or USB stick) 

You boot from the recovery disk, which has USB and CD/DVD drivers in it. and then recover from the image should you need to
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited November 2013
    Cheers!

It's an Acronis True Image Backup file .tib  and, at 123 GB, it's bigger than any USB stick I've got... but I'll figure something out!

Thanks for the explanation about the boot disk too. :)

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    123GB ?    bloody hell................ I assume you have a single partition system ?   ie everything on the C:\ drive ?   

you can increase the compression,  but it will take longer................and /or  vice versa   of course    :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited November 2013
    I have it like this:
    C:\ is operating system and programs
    D:\ is music
    E:\ is samples

each one of those physical hard drives is a single partition

for some reason it stuck the .tib file on the D drive but I didn't tell it to do that.  I think I may have had Acronis installed at the vendor's suggestion when the computer was put together for me but I've never run it before today!
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Why not partition C with say 30-40gb for JUST the OS then the rest for the programs?