I've done gone got me a gig - I've been rebooked!

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
edited April 2016 in Live
So as part of my declutter everything and get back to enjoying playing plan, I seem to have got myself a twenty minute shot at a local library music event on 11th December. Not the RAH, not Sin-é, not the Grand Old Oprey, but I'm quite looking forward to it. I've been to the last couple, they have a ukelele and vocal band as house band, and they've had a couple of chaps doing 60s & 70s guitar based stuff as a duo, and a vocal small choir, so a nice little mix of stuff. A chap from the uke band runs it, they get about 50 people, free entry but donations to the local library on the way out.

I emailed a couple of songs from the almighty Fretboard Challenge and briefly outlined what I'd like to do (solo one man and guitar kind of singer songwriter kind of efforts) and they've come back with a resounding yes please! Which is exciting and it gives me a target and a reason to get playing and singing as much as I can between now and then.

I'm a huge Jeff Buckley fan, so while I do not obviously have his vocals not his lovely guitar ability, that's the kind of vibe I'm going for - chilled, using nice clean reverby electric guitar to accompany myself. I have permission to use basic back tracks if needed, which I might for a couple (my fretboard challenge winner for example!). Will probably do some Dylan (eg blowing in the wind), Paul Simon (eg American Tune), Jeff Buckley (hallelujah, playing to the gallery a bit!), my own song, then maybe a couple of others.

So, has anybody got any tips? I was going to use my amp by itself (they're a quiet crowd) and my mic into the provided PA. I'm NOT going acoustic, I don't like that sound.

I'm OK with the patter between songs etc.

I think I might need a couple of more up tempo or up beat songs, which traditionally are not that easy to do by oneself without being a bit plinky plonky? Was thinking maybe I'm Waiting For The Man by velvet underground. It can't be anything too crazy because the audience (local people) are a mixed age range so in not sure Enter Sandman is going to work...

Words of advice, encouragement, and such like are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Have a look at solo seasick steve stuff on Later to see how to get a crowd going. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    A bit of Elvis perhaps?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • slacker;859831" said:
    Have a look at solo seasick steve stuff on Later to see how to get a crowd going. 
    Lol indeed, not so easy without playing blues though! But man, he's got something hasn't he
    Plectrum;859834" said:
    A bit of Elvis perhaps?
    I might borrow his unplugged DVD of my dad, as there's gotta be something of his though I wouldn't do it justice vocally, I might get away with it :)
  • Enjoy it. If you enjoy it, you're audience will enjoy it.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My goto chirpier songs which would work well in that format -
    Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks
    Shaking All Over by Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
    Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochrane
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    If it's all clean channel, I would consider using a compressor - make it sound more beautiful. 'How deep is your love' is a good one to play.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Any good with a looper? That always seems to impress an audience.
  • steamabacus;859965" said:
    Enjoy it. If you enjoy it, you're audience will enjoy it.
    Very true that thanks
    bigjon;860043" said:
    My goto chirpier songs which would work well in that format -
    Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks
    Shaking All Over by Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
    Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochrane
    I don't know the last one (though it had made me think of Gershwin... Hmmm...) But the first two yes, like it. Nice dirty vocal effects agogo on sunny afternoon as well!
    viz;860044" said:
    If it's all clean channel, I would consider using a compressor - make it sound more beautiful. 'How deep is your love' is a good one to play.
    Genuine question @viz re the compressor, use it in what way? I've only ever had one briefly and I only used it when playing Strokes rhythm chords to hide my uneven technique Haha

Plus, how deep is your love - beegees or Calvin Harris? ;)
    badlydrawnbanjo;860045" said:
    Any good with a looper? That always seems to impress an audience.
    Not tried one to be honest - timing in my head is a lot better than my feet so I've always thought if I were but a tenth of a second out I'd hear it all the way and wouldn't be able to bear it Haha
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    I found that you have to stick to well-known middle of the road songs in this environment or your audience get bored very quickly even if you are an outstanding virtuoso musician.........(only other musicians appreciate the skill )
    Bigjohn's suggestions are v much on the right track............esp Kinks and Beatles
    look at nice arrangements of Elton stuff ...........Your Song,Blue eyes etc
    Stevie Wonder - Isn't she lovely etc
    Upbeat Dylan - Times they are a-changing
    Any recent x factor type song ( grin and bare it -same goes for Adele songs - sadly they love it )
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    edited November 2015
    viz;860044" said:
    Genuine question
    @viz re the compressor, use it in what way? I've only ever had one briefly and I only used it when playing Strokes rhythm chords to hide my uneven technique Haha

Plus, how deep is your love - beegees or Calvin Harris? ;)

Take That. :)

Gentle compression just adds a bit of sparkle I find. I have a keeley, and it simply makes things sound nicer. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Dominic said:
    I found that you have to stick to well-known middle of the road songs in this environment or your audience get bored very quickly even if you are an outstanding virtuoso musician.........(only other musicians appreciate the skill )
    Bigjohn's suggestions are v much on the right track............esp Kinks and Beatles
    look at nice arrangements of Elton stuff ...........Your Song,Blue eyes etc
    Stevie Wonder - Isn't she lovely etc
    Upbeat Dylan - Times they are a-changing
    Any recent x factor type song ( grin and bare it -same goes for Adele songs - sadly they love it )
    Yes I know what you mean, however I'm not a great singer, am really just good enough to get by with certain songs that are within my range, so hence X factor pop stuff or Adele wouldn't really be that possible, not even one of those annoying Radio One Live Lounge ironic type covers! But good call in any case, Your Song is quite an easy one isn't it and well liked.
  • I’m on for about 20 minutes I believe. So what’s that, five songs and one spare?

So far my ideal shortlist is looking a bit like this but it’s open to others:

Blowing in the Wind – Dylan. Probably with harmonica too as I’ve done it before :)

Bang Bang - Nancy Sinatra

Sunny Afternoon - Kinks

Shaking All Over - Johnny Kidd

American Tune - Paul Simon. Love this tune (it’s Bach) and much of Paul Simon’s stuff is almost exactly in my vocal range. I have done 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover before as well, that ones nice and easy and makes people smile.

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (although I'd probably use drums from verse 2 and maybe cut out a verse here or there as it goes on a bit). If there was another of his that was well known enough and not too reliant on being an amazing vocalist, I’d consider it haha

My own “new sound” Fretboard challenge song that got me the gig in the first place. Would probably finish on that as it has a fun guitar solo at the end that would be a good ending.

Your Song – Elton John. Ignoring the fact it’s him, it’s a good tune and would sound quite good guitarified. I do play keys but I can’t sing and play at the same time (bizarrely)           

Two wildcards:

I'm Waiting For the Man - Velvet Underground. Not sure how interesting this could be though with just one guitar

The White Stripes’ cover of Dylan's "Isis". Notwithstanding the potential concern over the name, depends if I a) can remember the words as there are loads of verses and b) if I think they're ready for a bit of something different as between verses the chords would be bashed out and I don’t want to scare them. But as others are fairly well known, it might be a go-er to do something different.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    How about some of those Beatles things like 8 days a week or And I love her, even Hello Goodbye. Great foot tapping inoffensive material without putting too much strain on your voice/playing.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited November 2015
    I'm not too big on rhythm strumming in the traditional "busker" sense, on quicker songs, that's why the quicker ones I've earmarked so far are either crotchet based rhythm (Sunny Afternoon) or riff based (Shakin All Over). It's hard to explain because in some cases I'm happy to do it, but I almost always conscious reject the first "strumming pattern" that presents itself for songs because I find them cliched, and it can get a bit plinky plonky. I think it comes from my piano playing where rhythmic piano can sound awfully clunky (Keane, Coldplay, worship songs, I'm looking at you!). It's also why i don't like acoustic guitars much as it more often than not sounds like the average busker in the street with no dynamics and musicality :)

Hard to quite get at what I mean, but I can't think of an accompaniment I'd put to those songs that aren't a bit chord bashing. But I shall try them, as I think other people do like a bit of Beatles. Might see if there are any of the later ones in my range as they tend to be a bit more interesting texturally (if that's a word) and more my thang.

Am I trying to be too cool?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I'm only sleeping
    Dear Prudence

Try some Nouvelle Vauge type covers, Ever Fall In Love, Making Plans for Nigel, 

Werewloves of London

• slacker said:
    I'm only sleeping
    Dear Prudence

Try some Nouvelle Vauge type covers, Ever Fall In Love, Making Plans for Nigel, 

Werewloves of London

Never heard of  Nouvelle Vauge but a quick google of the name seems to suggest it might be something to look into, if not for the exact songs for the style and approach they take.

Those two BEatles tracks have reminded me of the Black Keys cover of She Said...Also yes Dear Prudence is a nice one. Thanks :)
  • Summertime Blues also covered by The Who as was Shaking All Over so you could have a 'Oo covers medley. Possibly the greatest version was the Blue Cheer one, argued by some to be the first ever heavy metal track (although you might like it more than that description implies). I'm amazed you don't recognise it. Amazed. Anyway... I always wanted to see a solo performance of Aint Got No Home by Clarence Frogman Henry (wisdom point available for anyone knowing the 80's film reference) although the original is piano based. That's a crowd pleaser if there ever was! Anyway (again) which library?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Funny you should mention the "first heavy metal song" because I always thought of Born to be Wild as being that, and it was the subject of or joking earlier where I said I could rework it to suit the audience and call it It's Too Warm to be Mild ;)

I'll look up the other ones you mention as I don't really know them either (don't mind the Who but not got any depth of knowledge - if it ain't Boris the Spider ya know...), thanks.

It's a library that absolutely is not called Bleakhouse Library in Oldbury.

A chap at work has suggested Champagne Supernova! Which is an excellent one, oh and "something Jake Bugg" but ERM, yeah the Oasis one could be fun.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited November 2015
    I sort of only passively knew Shaking All Over until I got the recent Wanda Jackson album with it on...
  • Something interesting happening in Oldbury! Bloody hell. The place has gone all cosmopolitan since they got a branch of Costa. The only two musicians I know of from Oldbury are Blaze Bayley once of Iron Maiden and Jack Judge ( I had to look his name up but I knew the story) who wrote It's a Long Long Way to Tipperary.  B-) Born to be Wild was the first song to use the phrase Heavy Metal I think.  Anyway, here's Blue Cheer. Any background noise on this is probably Eddie Cochran spinning in his grave...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.