Freddie Green.....scunner or genius?

Like.....he only played 2 or 3 notes on 2 or 3 strings! And still managed to play in some of the great big bands. I think he is a genius myself.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Count Basie said that without him the band didn't sound right.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Count Basie said that without him the band didn't sound right.

And he would know.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15975
    saw the wurd SCUNNER and thought I'd drop in :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Fucking brilliant. So much time for Freddie King. 

• Fucking brilliant. So much time for Freddie King. 
    Same here! He is brilliant and I am (was) stupid. Guitaristically stupid in the fact that for so so many years I was learning the guitar the good old fashioned way....like, trying to play as many notes on as many strings that I could. See the chord diagram....play it.....never remember it when I saw it written in music. Freddie, amongst others, has enabled me to see the light......errrr, where am I going here?
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    If you analyse Freddie Green, he frequently played different note choices on every beat, even for the same chord. He wasn't stuck with chord shapes, because he seemed to know/hear every note possibility for the given harmony. The ultimate 4 to the bar swinger.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden said:
    If you analyse Freddie Green, he frequently played different note choices on every beat, even for the same chord. He wasn't stuck with chord shapes, because he seemed to know/hear every note possibility for the given harmony. The ultimate 4 to the bar swinger.
    I can't get enough of all things Freddie Green. I follow a dedicated website to him and his playing style and technique. Its got me learning the notes on the fretboard (maybe should have done it 35 years ago) and working out 3-4 note chords and their inversions. I still have my Bert Weedon 'Play guitar in a day' book as a back up though!