Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was your weirdest musical indulgence?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31050
    Masturbating, as instructed, with a plastic bag whilst listening to Katy Perry

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

I'm probably going to wish I hadn't asked, but instructed by who?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31050
    ICBM said:
    I thought I liked Enigma until I heard Delerium… then they seemed really unimaginative.

Still love Delerium.
    One of the greatest tracks of all time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:

With a plastic bag??!! :\">
    Link to my trading feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Gassage said:
    I tried that, but they called off the press conference and arrested me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Gassage;864797" said:
    Isn't that the kind of practice that did for a Tory MP once? (Auto erotic asphyxiation I mean, not K Perry).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5111
    I love grand funk. I actually interviewed Don Brewer last year.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12476
    equalsql;863871" said:
    Great band!  If you're gonna have an an obsession they are a damn fine start. Their first live album is one of my all time favourites.

My weirdest musical indulgence is 'The Faust Tapes' . Completely off the wall German avante-guarde from the early 70s. Bonkers mad it is..but as it was a 50p album (released by Virgin Records) I bought it and took it home and listened to it endlessly. When I hear it now, it transports me back to the halcyon days of my youth. 
    I think everybody bought The Faust Tapes because it was 50p. Same as Camembert Electrique by Gong, not sure if it was also 50p but I seem to remember it was very cheap at the time. My local record exchange place had dozens of s/h copies for years after. >:D<
    I actually liked the Gong one but I think I traded Faust in fairly quickly.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4060
    edited November 2015
    Gassage said:

With a plastic bag??!! :\">
    I know.  Problematic 5p charge. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Reverend said:
    I love grand funk. I actually interviewed Don Brewer last year.
    AWESOME!!!!! Can I read the interview anywhere?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited November 2015
    I bought loadsa Soul RnB stuff in the 80s cos I thought it would set me up for lurve when bringing randoms back after a night out down the wine bar!

Some stuff I bought to sample off...

That's my excuse anyway...

Oh but one song hit me in the guts when the love of my life ended us...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Soft machine. Esther's nose job is a great tune but no dj I ever asked would play/have it back in the day.
  • +1 Grand Funk!  I still dig out the red live album, but my biggest obsession of all time was T Rex.  I got hooked on "The Slider" first and then proceeded to find and buy everything they/Marc Bolan did.  It was his voice mainly, I like his guitar work but realize he wasn't the greatest player, or even all that knowledgeable about scales, but it worked for me.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12476
    DulcetJones;865469" said:
    +1 Grand Funk!  I still dig out the red live album, but my biggest obsession of all time was T Rex.  I got hooked on "The Slider" first and then proceeded to find and buy everything they/Marc Bolan did.  It was his voice mainly, I like his guitar work but realize he wasn't the greatest player, or even all that knowledgeable about scales, but it worked for me.  
    I've still got a load of ticket stubs from old gigs, including one from T Rex at Wembley Arena. Now I never was a fan and I can't remember a thing about the gig, so the memory must be buried deep in my subconscious, due to the shame of actually going.
  • I dont think any of this stuff is that weird tbh or is it more stuff that other people wouldnt expect you to like?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Native American chants

All practice and no theory
  • I dont think any of this stuff is that weird tbh or is it more stuff that other people wouldnt expect you to like?

That's kind of it, other people I hung around with did like T Rex, but not many.  Most of us, me included were mainly into Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc....so it seemed a little odd to most of them, especially one dude who had "Bolan hair" and got compared to him all the time, it drove him nuts.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    I bought something very weird-sounding last week in my usual charity shop music search… Love At Sundown, by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej Of Thailand. I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be like but it sounded interesting!

Somewhat disappointingly it turned out to be pretty decent but quite mainstream western jazz. It was certainly good, but not all that original, and His Majesty should probably not give up the day job.

I will keep it though, it's nice to have music by the world's longest reigning monarch in my collection :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    I dont think any of this stuff is that weird tbh or is it more stuff that other people wouldnt expect you to like?

So....you're saying you....like SOFT MACHINE!? There's two of us!!!??