Anyone used a Blackstar ID-100TVP yet?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I generally don't like dynamic cleans. I like clean tones to be very even dynamically, with all notes in a strummed or picked chord having equal presence and grit. The DSL has some of the best cleans to my ears, and the JVM is great too.

I don't like driven Fendery cleans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    I generally don't like dynamic cleans. I like clean tones to be very even dynamically, with all notes in a strummed or picked chord having equal presence and grit.
    If they have grit then they're not cleans ;).

By dynamic I don't mean touch-responsive - ie precise control of overdrive/breakup via picking strength - I mean literal dynamics... outright volume control via picking strength - I want to be able to go from quiet to very loud with no distortion, just with my right hand.

This is nearly the same thing as lack of compression, but the odd thing is that amps with a really uncompressed sound - like most solid-state amps when completely clean - actually sound too 'sterile' somehow. I like a *little* bit of something a bit like compression, or 'bounce' which seems to even accentuate the dynamics. Valve amps - especially with valve rectifiers - seem to have this better than solid-state, even when both are completely clean and well below maximum power so you would think power supply sag wouldn't come into it.

The Blackstar ID sounded to me as if it was compressed, but a bit more so and less naturally than the Marshall, it sounded more 'obviously' so. But if you're looking for Marshally light-breakup with even and uniform control of the amount of grit, I would say it will do that very well.
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't like driven Fendery cleans.
    I do, but not as much as I like undriven Marshall cleans :). I always feel the Marshall tone is richer and punchier even when it's completely undistorted. I know most people don't think a Marshall can do that (or needs to be able to!) but to me it's one of the best amp sounds of all. The DSL and JVM don't do this as well as an old JMP either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom