Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How d'ya like your music...?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Not vinyl, although I have over 500 from the old days. Split between new CDs 2nd hand CDs and downloads. I find downloads a bit Unsatisfying though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've a pretty large collection of mp3s ripped from my own CD/tape/vinyl collection. I still buy vinyl to play, CDs I still occasionally buy but I usually rip them to mp3 and listen to them on memory stick in the car. I should really get rid of many of the CDs that will likely never be played again, but I like having the physical copy. I've never bought an mp3 download though.
  • Digital download. I tend to listen in the car to and from work so my phone is my library. At home it's either ripped to the PC or played through YouTube.
    My vinyl all got stolen when I was 20, shared house, heroin/methadone addicts, bye bye collection. Never bothered replacing it with the advent of CDs
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72914
    I've a pretty large collection of mp3s ripped from my own CD/tape/vinyl collection. I still buy vinyl to play, CDs I still occasionally buy but I usually rip them to mp3 and listen to them on memory stick in the car. I should really get rid of many of the CDs that will likely never be played again, but I like having the physical copy.
    I'm not sure what the current legal status of ripping CDs for your own use is - last time I heard, it had been made illegal again but the government was going to look at it - but whichever way it finally goes it will be illegal to not keep the CDs afterwards… having the mp3 but not the physical copy is effectively the same as if you'd never owned them at all.

Whether this matters to you morally is a different question from the chances of being caught and prosecuted, which are probably about the same as winning the lottery.

Not pointing a finger at anyone, just thought it was worth mentioning :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Started out with Vinyl to CD an early MP3 convert right from the first command line encoder, then got pissed off with the quality so went back and recoded my collection of Albums and CD to FLAC.

Have been a long time Spotify user now trying Apple Music in the car but thats not without its issues. 

I have an old PC that acts as a media server with a basic raid in case of drive failure also have a separate copy on a 2 gig external drive just in case as I ain't encoding that lot ever again :-)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23518
    Those who have ripped their CDs to MP3, FLAC or whatever, what software do you use?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11686
    tFB Trader
    Still CD as far as purchases go, as I'm old fashioned enough to still want physical product.
    I used to have loads of vinyl and loved it but space became an issue (and having to get up and turn the aalbum over too if I was busy)

Portability has been a real bonus for me - in the 80s it was my walkman and these days it's my iPod.
    Having my music on the go means I listen to my music way more than I would otherwise which is a good thing

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Those who have ripped their CDs to MP3, FLAC or whatever, what software do you use?

I've been using MediaMonkey- can encode to FLAC and to ogg vorbis, which is supposed to have better sound quality than mp3 at the same bitrate. You need a player that can play those formats too though- I used a Sansa Clip Zip for a years, now switched to using MediaMonkey for Android on my phone (which has a 64gb Micro SD card in it).

I still buy everything I can on CD- I just don't trust computers not to shit the bed and lose digital content and I begrudge paying once for the music and again for storing it somewhere on the interwebs where it "can't" be lost from. I like having a thing too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6132
    Digital download these days, unless the CD is cheaper in which case I get that and rip it to iTunes. Two backup HDs make backup copies automatically via Time Machine.

Reality is that I rarely listen to music these days, it resides mostly in my memory.
  • Vinyl if I can get it, else CD
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Used to be about 50/50 between vinyl and cd but now I just have a Deezer subscription and occasionally buy things that aren't on Deezer.  I find it a lot more convenient than physical media ,  I listen a lot on my phone and it's a pain to rip things, it's about the same price as buying one CD a month so I save a bunch too.  
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Split between CD and downloads, but I always end up ripping the CDs anyway.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I purchased my first load of CDs for six years (!) the other day - just decided that I was fed up of being too spoilt for choice on Spotify and realised that music was going in one ear and out the other. I'll keep it for checking out 1-2 tracks from new albums but that's about it. Now I have some tangible copies I can give the music my full attention. Plus my CD collection needs sprucing up again.

So yeah, CDs only - mostly brand new but second hand if I see a decent one in Davids Music. Vinyls would be too heavy on the wallet for me after a while and CDs take up less room.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31050
    Black relentless and powerful .........like my men.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Whatever format is available .. older stuff tends to be vinyl - obscure bands that never got transferred to the digital age. Other bands I follow are download only, although they provide high quality FLAC and 24-bit recordings and sometimes CDs. I have Spotify so I can listen to some stuff I like but grow tired of quickly.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited November 2015
    78s and wax cylinders mainly....
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 762
    I like to record gigs on my Roland digital recorder and play them at home.
    (For only my own pleasure obviously.)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • CD then ripped to PC for listening via my phone whilst walking to work or in the car.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FLAC or CD these days.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    CDs ripped ro computer. Occasionally buy a download.