David Bowie Blackstar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• westwest Frets: 998
    Apparently the style of the video is influenced by the old pop eye / betty boop cartoons the flicker and backgrounds ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 762

carlos said:
    This is so weird. It's like David Bowie went into my playlist to recruit musicians. 

"Having jazz guys play rock music turns it upside down.
    "Their approach to the music was so refreshing, I looked forward to every day in the studio. Nothing was done recalling the past."

What he means is that he doesn't know the past these guys are recalling. ;)

Interesting, I think you're underestimating Bowie's musical knowledge, my interpretation was that he's hearing that they're not playing with the usual reverence to Historical Jazz that's all too common.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3513
    I absolutely am and being a bit contentious just to spark discussion.

Certainly these guys are not recalling the same rock past that is now cliched. But they don't exist in a vacuum and their influences and where they come from is well documented.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    I think Bowie is completely unique. He's great. I think the song is ace, and the video is compelling.

A lot of his later music has been IMO very bland though. Critics, media etc always rave about his latest release as if its some great return to form (whatever that means) but I'd say all of them since Scary Monsters have been patchy. Some absolutely stunning tracks on every release, but a lot of his later material has been middle of the road.

But, having said all that, he's still pushing out new material, is still weird, still v cool, and he's near 70. I'll be bying the new album, hoping for at least 5 good tracks. That'll do me, for my Bowie fix.

Out of all his post Scary Monsters albums, I think I like Earthling most.