Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

90s British Guitar Legends

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• And I'm with @Skarloey on JDB. Mega smah hit songwriting has waned a little of late but his guitar playing has never faltered. Not just rock stuff, but stuff like Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky or My Little Empire are just spectacular bits of writing, guitar-wise.
    Never liked the Manics but I had a girlfriend in the 90s who had a bit of a Manics phase and bought me "Everything Must Go" as a birthday present. Small Black Flowers was a definite highlight in terms of guitar playing, and I did at least have to grudgingly admit that JDB could play, even if I couldn't get with their political-essay-with-shouting lyrics.
    :D Very true. I really like their recent low-key acoustic-ish Rewind The Film except for the final track which the most hilarious anti-Thatcher rant I just can't take it seriously...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    +1 for Adam Franklin. In UK 90's terms, he really stands ahead of the rest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 762
    edited November 2015
    Jim Mullen?

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    stickyfiddle;869116" said:
    Has anyone said Richard Oakes from Suede. Much preferred his playing to BB tbh. Beautiful Ones in particular is 100% classic.
    Good shout - wasn't he only 17/18 as well when he joined and then he co wrote Coming Up?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Iamnobody said:
    stickyfiddle said:
    Has anyone said Richard Oakes from Suede. Much preferred his playing to BB tbh. Beautiful Ones in particular is 100% classic.
    Good shout - wasn't he only 17/18 as well when he joined and then he co wrote Coming Up?
    I prefer the post-Butler Suede as well, but also like Butler's post-Suede work. Somehow they were better apart than together - I'm not a big fan of Butler's early stuff in Suede really, although I do think Dog Man Star is good. If that all makes any kind of sense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Myke Gray from Skin - great rock player.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Yep. He was a member of Suede's fan club- heard that Butler had left and sent the group a recording of himself playing Suede songs and his own material. Apparently the drummer thought his audition tape was an early band demo recording. Quite a tale.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Iamnobody said:
    Yep. He was a member of Suede's fan club- heard that Butler had left and sent the group a recording of himself playing Suede songs and his own material. Apparently the drummer thought his audition tape was an early band demo recording. Quite a tale.

Great story!
  • All my faves have been mentioned already...
    Craddock, Coxon, Mills, Gallagher, Hawley, Coombes.
    Special mention for Skin from Cast, his solo on Sandstorm is fucking awesome.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Kenwyn House has to feature. That first Reef record is superb, some of the Strat tones are my reference point for Strat tones.
  • Deijavoo;877925" said:
    Kenwyn House has to feature. That first Reef record is superb, some of the Strat tones are my reference point for Strat tones.
    Isn't he owned by the National Trust now?

I agree with you - the stuff I've heard by him always sounded great.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I prefer the post-Butler Suede as well, but also like Butler's post-Suede work. Somehow they were better apart than together - I'm not a big fan of Butler's early stuff in Suede really, although I do think Dog Man Star is good. If that all makes any kind of sense.
    Post-Butler Suede made half a good album in Coming Up. Head Music and A New Morning were dreadful and Blood Sports was very average. Dog Man Star is one of my favourite albums whilst simultaneously being one of the worst mixed albums I've heard. Ed Buller undoubtedly held Bernard back. 

Richard Oakes is a pretty good guitarist but in terms of ability he's miles behind t'Butler. It's like comparing Craig Gannon to Johnny Marr. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2015

Completely agree HFD.

Also with regards to Kenwyn House, Naked is one of the greatest riffs of the 90s.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Completely agree HFD.

Also with regards to Kenwyn House, Naked is one of the greatest riffs of the 90s.

"It's Your Letters" is up there too IMO, albeit throughly overplayed.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.