Can someone with brains check my wiring diagram?

After a week of playing a tele, I have changed my mind and ditched the idea of 2 volume no tone on my guitar build. To that effect I have had a go at knocking up a wiring diagram based on what I am after (couldn't find anything the same online), and I was hoping that someone with more brain power than me could have a glance and see if it looks like it will work. 

Basic premise:

3 pickups: tappable p90 in neck, single coil in middle, humbucker with coil split at bridge. 
1 volume, with push/pull to tap p90
1 tone with push/pull to split HB coil
5 way switch for strat type selection

Info on wire colours at top, along with info for p90 tap. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72934
    edited November 2015
    Yes, that looks like it should work, although I think you have the red and white wires for the P90 the wrong way round if you want the knob down to be full output.

You can improve it though, for better reliability…

Connect the three unused 5-way switch terminals to their respective positions on the other side (ie red from bridge pickup to top one, green from middle pickup to middle one, black from neck pickup to bottom one). You already have the output connection doubled.

Do the same with the push-pulls - wire across from one side to the other of each of the three rows on the neck pickup one (remove the connection to ground, you don't need that) and both rows you're using on the bridge pickup one.

What that does is basically mean that each switch has two contacts in operation, so it would take a bad contact or a bit of dust in both at the same time to make the switch cut out or crackle, which is obviously very unlikely.

Please don't take this as an admission that I have brains!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Bourns do a push-push pot which I've always found a lot easier than push pull for a quick change. Just remember not to pull the knob off with the switch in the down position.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    I use push/push as well, but they can be unreliable, or at least have a limited life span.
    If you don't mind replacing them every few years.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I haven't liked push/pull in the past as I've had them on strats and it's too hard to grip the knob quickly, however, this is nice big chunky tele knobs so I think that won't be a problem.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3068
    edited November 2015
    hywelg said:
    Bourns do a push-push pot which I've always found a lot easier than push pull for a quick change. Just remember not to pull the knob off with the switch in the down position.
    Got a link, @hywelg?

R.
    edited November 2015
    ICBM said:
    Yes, that looks like it should work, although I think you have the red and white wires for the P90 the wrong way round if you want the knob down to be full output.
    Doh! Schoolboy error!

Thanks for the help, I'll ... er ..... buy you a pint sometime.

Revised diagram:

Yes, that's exactly how I would do it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2015
    Twice, even…

Double post.

many thanks
    Question: assuming that the diagram above gives me full humbucker on push instead of pull, which wire would I change to reverse that?
    Move the black ground wire to the two unused terminals on the pull switch.

Happy New Year :).

ICBM said:
    Move the black ground wire to the two unused terminals on the pull switch.

Happy New Year :).
    Ta! I knew it was simple, but the switches I have are very fiddly so I didn't want to faff around