Advice to record rehearsals

dariusdarius Frets: 632
edited November 2015 in Studio & Recording
I'd like a cheap and easy way to record our band's weekly 2hr practice sessions.
I don't need high quality, but I do need to hear all of the drum/bass/guitar/guitar/vocal elements.
We practice in a sound proofed rehearsal space, at full gig volume.
Ideally I want to stick a mic in the middle of the room and plug it into a magic box, press record and 2hrs later press stop.
I would store everything and go work on any of the good bits (ideas, improvements etc.) in the days and weeks.

What do people use for similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zoom do good handheld recorders.

The H1 is fine for this application and can handle a loud rock band in a small room.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Loads of good handheld records with good mics on them. Zoom is good, Tascam even better. I use Tascam DR-44WL for rehearsal recording and it's fantastic.
  • i have a little zoom...its great
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Excellent, thanks - just what I was looking for.
  • I have had great results with the tascam and the zoom units. 

Its all about where you position the unit. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've got a Zoom H4n, they're always available used. Loads of good little recorders like that available now. Lots of them have XLR inputs so you can plumb the vocals in separately if you need to.
  • We've got some perfectly useable recordings from our bass player's iPhone, which normally sits on a chair a little away from everyone's amps. They're not broadcast quality but everything's clear enough for "homework" purposes.

I'd try that before you fork out a ton for a handheld recorder.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.