Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19131
    I guess that's why with glasses (as with guitar stuff) there are almost infinite variations on a theme, but no definitive solutions  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16199
    Must be a personal thing.......I don't get any eye watering at any speed even if I don't wear glasses 
    I have had foam rimmed ones which were great but they tended to steam up a bit
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1611
    Can't see me making it on the steely-eyed righteous Bro' front anytime soon alas Dominic :)

Might invest in some of those Bolle or Jockey googles shortly - see how they go.
    You could just do some work on your steely narrow eyed Clint gaze  ;)  Sorted.

20 Stunning Photographs of Clint Eastwood Posing With Motorcycles From
    edited August 2023
    Prefer the Butch look me'self..

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Zed’s dead baby, Zed’s dead…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jorge Martín telling physics to piss off as he's a bit busy at the moment ...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5735
    I'm just back from holibobs around the south of Spain and the Balearics.

It was an interesting trip and I saw many, many, many motorcycles.  

Spain seems to love motorbikes, if you need to get somewhere on the south coast of Spain or in the Spanish islands then a bike is your best method of transport.

Need to get the mother-in-law to the dentist?  Plop her on the back of your bike.

Need to shift a large TV?  Get your pillion to hold it on the back of your bike (yes, I did see this in Cadiz).

Need to move a heavy potted plant?  Again, get your pillion to hold it for you (and I did see this also).

Safety is interesting over there too.  I get that it's a little bit warmer than Blighty and wearing full gear would be uncomfortably hot, but they seem to go completely the opposite way - other than a helmet (which I reckon they only wear because it's the law, and they would probably forego that if they could) then whatever shorts and flip-flops you happen to have on that day is all you really need.

I enjoyed their relaxed approach.  Given the weather, their love for bikes and the provisions made for bikes, I may have to consider altering my retirement plans.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've been riding like that today ........I think@P90 fool is of the same mentality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Went out on the bike for the first time yesterday in about four weeks due to a holiday and then I came down with the flippin' lurgi on the day I came home!

@thebreeze and I have been talking about meeting up for a couple of months and yesterday we made it happen at a little place called The Halfway, which by sheer coincidence just happens to be pretty much halfway between us!

It was a gorgeous little place in a idillic location we spend a good hour together chatting over a drink before having to head home, racing the sunset all the way.  

Steve's Z900RS is gorgeous, here it is next to my old donkey in the pub carpark - shame I didn't get a better pic.

The ride home was really good fun - I didn't go bonkers but did have to tell myself to calm down a bit early on, but once I got onto more familiar roads I kept the pace up and the smile-factor high.

Thanks, Steve, hope we can do it again sometime.  If any other FBers fancy meeting up somewhere/sometime then the more the merrier - maybe we could start theFretboard MC lol (just kidding).

• Yes, a great meet up Chris @Haych, thank you.  Funnily enough I put a bit of welly into it coming back too - must have been something about the sunset or empty Sunday evening roads.  That's a nifty little BMW recording thing you've got there....., does the 72mph that comes up at the end mean top speed or average speed or something else entirely?
    thebreeze said:
    Yes, a great meet up Chris @Haych, thank you.  Funnily enough I put a bit of welly into it coming back too - must have been something about the sunset or empty Sunday evening roads.  That's a nifty little BMW recording thing you've got there....., does the 72mph that comes up at the end mean top speed or average speed or something else entirely?
    It's an app called Relive - the 72mph recorded is what it thinks my top speed achieved was.  It's not that accurate, one time on the way to work it suggested I'd achieved about 96mph on the M5!!  A complete lie!

I'm not a speed demon at all, although it's quite possible I did open the taps a bit without realising on this occasion.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31726
    Dominic said:
    I've been riding like that today ........I think@P90 fool is of the same mentality
    Definitely. Most of the world is too tbh, deliberately planning a high speed slide down the road is a very northern European thing really. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have worn a T shirt and shorts whilst riding 650 miles last week .Loved every minute.
    Pulled up on saturday on my hooligan bike KTM Superduke RS alongside a 'tutting ' bore on a GS1250 with £3,000 of BMW Safety Clothing /body armour etc on ......I watched the poor dehydrated fella with sweat pouring off his neck and genuinely thought if it came to that as an alternative for me I'd rather be in a car with Air-Con.
    He didn't look like he was bound for a trans-Saharan adventure but had the stupid great metal box panniers fully extended so he couldn't stream the traffic .....bloody thing was wider than a smart car 
    I just thought.............what's the point ?
    edited September 2023
    ^ 'Performativity'
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/performativity

Or as the Bard might have said:
                                                                          All the world's a stage
    And those Wrong Way Round Wannabes merely players
    Dominic said:
    I have worn a T shirt and shorts whilst riding 650 miles last week .Loved every minute.
    Pulled up on saturday on my hooligan bike KTM Superduke RS alongside a 'tutting ' bore on a GS1250 with £3,000 of BMW Safety Clothing /body armour etc on ......I watched the poor dehydrated fella with sweat pouring off his neck and genuinely thought if it came to that as an alternative for me I'd rather be in a car with Air-Con.
    He didn't look like he was bound for a trans-Saharan adventure but had the stupid great metal box panniers fully extended so he couldn't stream the traffic .....bloody thing was wider than a smart car 
    I just thought.............what's the point ?
    I take the middle ground. I try to apply some sensibility without going ATGATT. 

It also depends on what kind of ride I’m doing. If I’m going long distance for hours then I’ll kit up a bit more. If I’m off to the shops for a pint of milk, I’ll go as I am. 

But yeah, some of the GS and ADV bike brigade do make me chuckle with their astronaut suits. 

• Haych said:

Safety is interesting over there too.  I get that it's a little bit warmer than Blighty and wearing full gear would be uncomfortably hot, but they seem to go completely the opposite way - other than a helmet (which I reckon they only wear because it's the law, and they would probably forego that if they could) then whatever shorts and flip-flops you happen to have on that day is all you really need.
    I was in the South of France at the end of August and drove (in a car) from Cannes to Avignon.

The speed limit for a lot of the journey was 130km/h (80.77 mph).

While travelling t that speed, a guy on a Ducati roared past me wearing vest, shirts, and flip flops!

Insane!
    Haych said:

I was in the South of France at the end of August and drove (in a car) from Cannes to Avignon.

While travelling t that speed, a guy on a Ducati roared past me wearing vest, shirts, and flip flops!

Insane!
    You can look at it that way. Most accidents on a motorcycle happen at low speed. The guy on the Ducati was more likely to fall off at the traffic lights than at 80mph on the motorway. 

At the end of the day, everyone makes a personal risk assessment and choice based on that. Of course there is always a large degree of things-only-happen-to-other-people as well. 

I’m not advocating throwing PPE in the bin, but neither do I think one should be forced to wear it based on what another considers high risk. In this country I’m surprised anyone is allowed out the front door for any reason without a full suit of medieval armour!

edited September 2023
    Haych said:
    Haych said:

Insane!
    You can look at it that way. Most accidents on a motorcycle happen at low speed. The guy on the Ducati was more likely to fall off at the traffic lights than at 80mph on the motorway. 

At the end of the day, everyone makes a personal risk assessment and choice based on that. Of course there is always a large degree of things-only-happen-to-other-people as well. 

I’m not advocating throwing PPE in the bin, but neither do I think one should be forced to wear it based on what another considers high risk. In this country I’m surprised anyone is allowed out the front door for any reason without a full suit of medieval armour!
    I know that was a tongue in cheek comment, but as you mention & in my experience, most individuals in the UK have very little idea of the most basic elements of risk assessment & mitigation.
    'Health & Safety gone mad' has passed into the UK vocabulary & is usually trotted out by those with limited understanding & experience (not pointing at anyone here).
  • Haych said:
    Haych said:

Insane!

Yeah, you're right. He was probably completely safe. :confounded: