Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1633
    ^ Shush man - ye can't be talking about 'before the Summer ends' at this stage for dear sake  :# :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4850
    Haych said:
    Haych said:
    If I need directions while on the bike I usually use Siri connected via my Cardo unit so I get audio prompts in my helmet.  Works a treat, I don't even need to have the phone on the bike, although I usually do have it visible on a quad lock mount which also keeps the battery charged.

As with Google maps, Apple Maps doesn't allow me to import GPX files, though, else it would be pretty much perfect.
    BMW Motorrad Connect on iOS does what you want, but it seems to need a TFT dash (which I have) or swap your quad lock for a BMW cradle (which I suspect is not cheap). Maybe it will work without either, I haven't tried.  The small TFT (mine) gives turn by turn on the screen and voice prompts. The big one (and the cradle) gives maps, too, like a Garmin. Maps can be downloaded so it works using the phone GPS even when there's no data service. 
    Thanks, at face value the BMW app looks really good, but it’s no use for me sadly as it requires a bike that will connect to the app via Bluetooth. 

My bike is thick end of 20 years old now so predates the connectivity stuff by quite a few years I imagine. 

Good suggestion though, thank you. 
    @Haych I've been reading some posts from people who don't have TFT bikes yet still use the BMW cradle and the app for navigation. It may be worth trying the app using your existing cradle for in-your-ear turn instructions with the map displayed on your phone. The bit you can't access is the bike data stuff, as there won't be a plug to connect anything to your bike and read the computer - just power to charge the phone. You can BT connect the phone directly to your intercom with the BMW app - you don't have to go via the bike TFT as you won't be controlling anything through the bike. 

My mate uses Tom Tom Go on his Android phone and he's happy with that. It creates GPX files but I'm not sure about importing them. 

• JEMJEM Frets: 138
    shady said:
      Went and got a very stock 2015 KTM Duke 690, done a few things to it - booster plug to cure the annoying fuelling issue, decat and a K&N filter.  It feels like a different bike now...planning to get it dyno'd and the ECU flashed down at CJS Racing near Bristol hopefully before the summer ends. 

Does that not send the insurance premium for a newly qualified rider through the roof!?
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    JEM said:
    shady said:
      Went and got a very stock 2015 KTM Duke 690, done a few things to it - booster plug to cure the annoying fuelling issue, decat and a K&N filter.  It feels like a different bike now...planning to get it dyno'd and the ECU flashed down at CJS Racing near Bristol hopefully before the summer ends. 

Does that not send the insurance premium for a newly qualified rider through the roof!?
    Power commander certainly does, although I'm led to believe getting the ECU flashed is more about smoothing out the torque and less about top trumps. I was surprised when I asked Bennetts about the decat, as long as it's road legal you're all good.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31767
    AK99 said:
    ^ Shush man - ye can't be talking about 'before the Summer ends' at this stage for dear sake  :# :'(
    This time last year it did end, we just didn't know it!
    ^ You're not helping here, man .. :)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5738
    @Haych I've been reading some posts from people who don't have TFT bikes yet still use the BMW cradle and the app for navigation. It may be worth trying the app using your existing cradle for in-your-ear turn instructions with the map displayed on your phone. The bit you can't access is the bike data stuff, as there won't be a plug to connect anything to your bike and read the computer - just power to charge the phone. You can BT connect the phone directly to your intercom with the BMW app - you don't have to go via the bike TFT as you won't be controlling anything through the bike. 

My mate uses Tom Tom Go on his Android phone and he's happy with that. It creates GPX files but I'm not sure about importing them. 

@TheBigDipper thanks.  I'll have to do some research as I have to admit I'm slightly confused by the functionality of the cradle without a compatible bike.

I downloaded the app and it stated I would have 30 days of limited functionality until I was able to bluetooth connect the app to a compatible bike.  I don't understand what the cradle does on its own or how it makes the app work without the compatible bike, so will need to research that.

I've also not been able to BT connect the app to the Cardo either, so far it's looking more and more like the app connects to the bike and everything else is piggy-backed off the bike's TFT.

I have managed to import a GPX file but it won't let me use it without connecting to the bloody bike (even though in the trial 30 period message it tells me I can!)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4850
    A software app designed to drive hardware sales. Where have we heard that before? 
    edited May 25
    Got the front callipers rebuilt, and also managed to get back out for a scoot to check everything was ok today:

The sign's a bit of an insult to the old girl, as she's never leaked a drop of the stuff, but hey we've a good enough relationship at this stage for a bit of give and take.  Just realised, I must have put close to 2000 miles on it by now. Have spent a fair amount of time tweaking and working on everything from brakes, through carbs, wiring, forks, shocks and exhaust, but apart from changing the bars, a year or so down the line I've done virtually nothing to the aesthetics (aside from cutting the conchos off the saddle that is ).

Funny, almost the first thing on the to-do list when I got the bike was to change the look of it into more of a 'club-style' bike - but the more I rode it, the more I've grown to like it as is.
    Over the weekend I've given the bike a good service in anticipation of the upcoming trip - more on that later, though.

Went out yesterday to get the oil nice and hot and when it hit the drain pan it really had some back pressure behind it.  A lot of the oil went in the pan and jumped back out all over my shed floor!

Dropped the filter, too and left that to drain overnight and finished it off this afternoon.

Good quality Castrol 15w50 fully synthetic oil, a new Hi Flo oil filter, a set of NGK Iridium plugs and a K&N air filter.

Hit the starter and it fired up like it never has before and sounds great!

I am now mostly packed for the trip - three weeks today I should be boarding the ferry about this time.  And yes, I know I'm sad for packing so early, but I like to pack, unpack, whittle it down to what I actually think I'll need and leave the excess behind.  I'm just waiting for the delivery of a new lock and a pair of Converse low tops for something to wear in the evenings.

As things stand I'm pretty much ready to go.

BUT.........

The tour company I've booked with were last week running another tour in Scotland and there has been an accident involving two riders from the group.  Unfortunately, one rider died at the scene.  The other rider was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and is in serious but stable condition.

I don't know if this will affect the next tour, I haven't heard anything to suggest that it will but the guides must be devastated, if nothing else, from such a serious accident on their watch.

I know the two guys leading the tour wouldn't do anything stupid to endanger the lives of anyone riding on tour with them, they are both very experienced riders and there's nothing to suggest they were involved or even on the scene when it happened.

That stated, in their position I might def the next tour and give myself time to process what happened.  Who knows.  We'll see.

Some things are more important and at the moment I'm as gutted as everyone else about the accident, the guys involved and their families.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16223
    AK99 said:
    Got the front callipers rebuilt, and also managed to get back out for a scoot to check everything was ok today:

The sign's a bit of an insult to the old girl, as she's never leaked a drop of the stuff, but hey we've a good enough relationship at this stage for a bit of give and take.  Just realised, I must have put close to 2000 miles on it by now. Have spent a fair amount of time tweaking and working on everything from brakes, through carbs, wiring, forks, shocks and exhaust, but apart from changing the bars, a year or so down the line I've done virtually nothing to the aesthetics (aside from cutting the conchos off the saddle that is ).

Funny, almost the first thing on the to-do list when I got the bike was to change the look of it into more of a 'club-style' bike - but the more I rode it, the more I've grown to like it as is.
    I guess you've only got to get the little fairing for a 'club style',bars are spot-on already ,  but I would spend money on an SS or Mikuni 42 slide first and then get the pipes sorted ......it does make a huge difference 
    I know the'club bike' look well but I don't see many members on them ......all very fancy road and street glides where I was last saturday for the full patches
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Had the little fairing, but could not get it adjusted to get rid go the buffeting, so it had to go. (And..I've gone off the bars a little, would prefer ones about 2" higher with about another 1" pullback). 

I know you like the SS and Mikuni carbs Dominic. I've been agonising over the carb /and pipes for a long time now. The bike came with an oversize Keihin pumper carb on it - and the gutted/now re-baffled short silencers. No idea whether they do anything for performance over stock, but they do run cleanly and the old girl pulls very well, and makes reasonably nice noises. If I change the carb, I'd need to add in a new manifold, cables and air-filter, which starts to push the cost a bit. I would like to change the pipe to one without that ugly balance pipe running below the air filter, so you can see the big V in all its glory - but I think most of the 2-1 pipes that make more power and torque just look far too long and awkward:

Could of course go the AliExpress route instead, and pretend I knocked up an Akra-style pipe in the garage..

(If it would last more than a fortnight that is..)

Not easy this modding/tailoring lark :)
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2602
    Haych said:

BUT.........

The tour company I've booked with were last week running another tour in Scotland and there has been an accident involving two riders from the group.  Unfortunately, one rider died at the scene.  The other rider was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and is in serious but stable condition.

I don't know if this will affect the next tour, I haven't heard anything to suggest that it will but the guides must be devastated, if nothing else, from such a serious accident on their watch.

I know the two guys leading the tour wouldn't do anything stupid to endanger the lives of anyone riding on tour with them, they are both very experienced riders and there's nothing to suggest they were involved or even on the scene when it happened.

That stated, in their position I might def the next tour and give myself time to process what happened.  Who knows.  We'll see.

Some things are more important and at the moment I'm as gutted as everyone else about the accident, the guys involved and their families.
    That must have been terrible for everyone involved. Is that with Teapotone? I get the impression that he is the type of guy who will take it hard. 

I’ve moved my trip to July now, was meant to go last week but after weighing up pros and cons decided to wait until (fingers crossed) the weather is more stable and the mountain passes are fully clear. No point in going and not fully enjoying it. 
    I'm sure you'll find a decent set of Vance and Hines on Ebay -don't need to be 2 into 1 ...pair of short-shots are ideal ......a scruffy set will be cheap and if you want a hardcore look you can black wrap them .....I've done so much custom/performance work on Harleys over the years that can guarantee you the carb will m,ake a huge difference 
    The pull back on the bars is hard to acheive but you could get the height with a simple set of riser extenders ( I know these bars are not meant to need a riser ) 
    cruxiform said:

That must have been terrible for everyone involved. Is that with Teapotone? I get the impression that he is the type of guy who will take it hard. 

I’ve moved my trip to July now, was meant to go last week but after weighing up pros and cons decided to wait until (fingers crossed) the weather is more stable and the mountain passes are fully clear. No point in going and not fully enjoying it. 
    Yes, it’s with Chicken Strips, so Bruce (Teapot One) and Simon. He released a brief video update in the last couple of days and, yes, he’s taken it hard as I also thought he would. 

It seems the current tour is ongoing so doesn’t look like it has affected their schedule, but that seems a churlish and selfish outlook considering. 

Best wishes for your tour. Are you riding solo or with others, @cruxiform?

@Haych Still on my own but feeling like it might be better with one or two others. I’m not great in big groups but a couple of people I can cope with :smiley: 
    cruxiform said:
    Haych said:

BUT.........

Awful for all when something like that happens 
    I think you were wise to postpone weatherwise ......even if the days are warm the early mornings and late afternoons in mountains are bloody cold .......I've done the Grossglockner in the first week of September going to Faaker See and it was freezing even though the lowland temp was about 30 degrees
    cruxiform said:
    @Haych Still on my own but feeling like it might be better with one or two others. I’m not great in big groups but a couple of people I can cope with :smiley: 
    I know exactly what you mean. I’d much rather be riding with one or two mates than a big group. 

There will be 15 of us altogether on the upcoming trip which is a bit out of my comfort zone but hopefully I’ll find some kindred spirits among the group and it won’t be too onerous. 

At the moment I’m too chicken to go on my own, so kudos for doing it solo. The big draw for me is the fact that everything is arranged in advance and I don’t have to do any of the heavy lifting, so to speak. 

Hotels, ferries, fuel stops and lunch stops are all sorted, the latter is a bit flexible but I essentially just have to turn up and enjoy the ride. 

Maybe after this trip I’ll get the confidence to tackle a trip like this on my own. I have a lot of admiration for those who can point their bike in a general direction and work out everything else on the fly. 

I think you were wise to postpone weatherwise ......even if the days are warm the early mornings and late afternoons in mountains are bloody cold .......I've done the Grossglockner in the first week of September going to Faaker See and it was freezing even though the lowland temp was about 30 degrees
    Yeah, the weather in general this week is still pish across  Europe. I don’t mind a bit of rain but constant wet weather is a no no for me. Done it before and it’ destroys your soul. I’m lucky that my manager moved my leave to July, the odds are better for sunshine then.
    edited May 27

Haych said:
    cruxiform said:
    @Haych Still on my own but feeling like it might be better with one or two others. I’m not great in big groups but a couple of people I can cope with smiley 
    I know exactly what you mean. I’d much rather be riding with one or two mates than a big group. 

There will be 15 of us altogether on the upcoming trip which is a bit out of my comfort zone but hopefully I’ll find some kindred spirits among the group and it won’t be too onerous. 

At the moment I’m too chicken to go on my own, so kudos for doing it solo. The big draw for me is the fact that everything is arranged in advance and I don’t have to do any of the heavy lifting, so to speak. 

Hotels, ferries, fuel stops and lunch stops are all sorted, the latter is a bit flexible but I essentially just have to turn up and enjoy the ride. 

Maybe after this trip I’ll get the confidence to tackle a trip like this on my own. I have a lot of admiration for those who can point their bike in a general direction and work out everything else on the fly. 
    I just watched Teapotone’s video that he posted earlier. Boy, that was a tough watch. 

The first time I went to Europe in 2011,  I went with a group of 6 riders. It wasn’t an organised trip, but had a leader who was a guy who was eager to introduce people to the joys of touring in Europe. Apart from him, none of us had left the UK before and had never met each other than through a motorcycle forum. We stayed in a single hotel and ventured out from there everyday, it was in Germany. All levels of riders, one guy had only passed his test a few weeks before! I was hooked. 

Anyway the plan was to do the same the year after but I couldn’t commit so took a deep breath and did it myself. It was a revelation, I really enjoyed the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I’ve still joined others for trips over the years but there’s something empowering about being on a tour on your own. 

That said, when there’s one other, maybe two, you have a bit of support and people to socialise with at the end of each day.