G7th 3 string capo - very inspiring

I just received some capos, had a play with this one last night

if you like modal and open tunings, this is a wonderful new source of inspiration

I've tried it from the front and back (strings DGB and ADG), and at several positions - you can play behind the capo too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9564
    edited November 2015
    I bought a couple from Amazon, and I've got the Shubb Partial Capo, but it's a very wide setting.

They can offer some great creative sounds, and that G7th looks great.

I've just ordered a Spider Capo...
  • Can't you just use a normal capo for that?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11927
    Can't you just use a normal capo for that?
    no, it presses down 3 inner strings
  • I use partial capos a lot, mainly a shubb 3 string which does the same thing as ToneControl's g7th.

I've also got a spider capo which is great at home but a bit of a faff live, however it's good to try out combination which you can then recreate by making your own cut capos.

I like a g modal type of thing capoing 330033 and asus 002200, if you drop the b string on the latter you get EAEAae.

Also 022220 is good for a double drop d type of thing.

I did buy a set of capo clips but found them a bit too fiddly to be of much use.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11927
    I use partial capos a lot, mainly a shubb 3 string which does the same thing as ToneControl's g7th.

I've also got a spider capo which is great at home but a bit of a faff live, however it's good to try out combination which you can then recreate by making your own cut capos.

I like a g modal type of thing capoing 330033 and asus 002200, if you drop the b string on the latter you get EAEAae.

Also 022220 is good for a double drop d type of thing.

I did buy a set of capo clips but found them a bit too fiddly to be of much use.
    I saw the spider one last year, it looked a bit fiddly. Could be worth a try to experiment with, as you say
    the sus2 is tempting, and those other ideas - thanks

I have a G7th 5 string here too, but I'm opening that after I play a bit more with the 3 string