Busking - advice needed

ToonToon Frets: 57
I'm getting an inclination to try some busking. Thinking about getting one of those Roland Street Cube battery amps - any good?
Secondly - I don't sing. Just guitar along to backing tracks on MP3 plugged into cube. Will that concept work or is it a dumb idea without a singer? Playing style is blues.

Loads of experience in this site - gimme your views.

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited November 2015
    Most buskers leave me feeling cold to be honest so my advice would be: be good, be original. 

Manchester has a host of shit buskers, the ones I see and like (and give money to, which is the important bit) are: 

the Hoochiecoochie Man(cunian) plays lots of hockey tonk Blues to a backing track and sings, very accomplished player, singing suits the style. 

The Piccadilly Rats-ex/current homeless full band who play Beatles, stones etc badly but have pissed up dancers, a stuffed dog and they wear masks-excellent fun. 

A three piece who wear tuxedos and top hats, play the classics-50's to 80's danceable songs, double bass, drums (snare) singer. 

There are one or two singer/guitarists who are very good but it's just dull-Coldplay, Adele, Tracy chapman fare. I think you could pull it off but you'll need to be good and have some sort of gimmick/good patter. 

There's a guy that plays slide to backing tracks-no singing, he's good but not sure if non-musos appreciate him, my gf doesn't while I like to stand and listen for a while. 

I'd recommend you giving singing a go, or finding someone who will give it a go, you don't need a great voice for blues.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    A busker has to be either an outstanding virtuoso or a very funny one man show ............
    Mediocre musicians with mediocre repertoire are simply boring and take up pavement space
    If they ask me whether I can spare any change I say
    " I don't know I haven't died yet ! "
  • Toon said:
    I'm getting an inclination to try some busking. Thinking about getting one of those Roland Street Cube battery amps - any good?
    Secondly - I don't sing. Just guitar along to backing tracks on MP3 plugged into cube. Will that concept work or is it a dumb idea without a singer? Playing style is blues.

Loads of experience in this site - gimme your views.
    I've seen people busking in that style and there's a chap who does jazz guitar on a regular basis like that in Birmingham city centre. However, he's there all day getting small amounts at a time by the look of it. You might be better trying to pair up with someone who can sing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.