IEM system recommendation

What's Hot
jesonejesone Frets: 60
Hi folks, I'd like to gather the collective group wisdom on what I need for a wireless iem system. I'm lead guitar & often lead vocal too & am struggling with getting a wedge monitor mix to work. I'm not going to say money is no issue of course but I'm looking for a decent setup.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Check out the LD Systems MEI 1000 G2

Could upgrade the earphones to something like the Shure SE315 or ACS T15's
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Shure 215s are also an option
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Sennheiser G2 or G3. I use them week in week out. As far as headphones, the Shures are great, as is the ACS stuff. I've got their moulds on a set of ultimate ears and the sound quality is just stupendous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2169
    I use the Shure PSM 200 and SE215 setup.

Works great, sounds good, lots of isolation, earpieces are comfortable, plenty of oomph etc.

I'd never used IEM's before these, but I have to say that I really like them.

If you've never used IEM's either, you'll probably find this setup will be leaving you thinking, "why didn't I do this sooner?!"

It works great and sounds good. The bass response is good also. I did think about getting a more expensive setup, because, why not... But pleased I didn't. These will suffice for pretty much any application IMO.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    The Shure was in fact the one I've been looking at so that's a very encouraging post Nerine. Have you found you've had to mic the drums or is there enough bleed through the vocal mics?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    edited November 2015
    I use the Shure SE215s and most of the guys I work with do too. For the money they are very good. Radio wise I've used loads of transmitters and receivers and found the Senn ones were far superior to the T bone and other cheap units. Having repaired a couple of them I can tell you the build quality on the Sennheiser units is top notch .... They survived abuse that would have distroyed cheaper units If you play wired guitar though I do a £75 pedal that contains a nice IEM amp which combines you aux signal from the desk and your guitar signal into one cable. That will outperform any wireless unit in terms of noise and interference as it's obviously immune from those problems.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    My band has been using the Gear4Music IEM system for a couple of months now and we've been really happy with it. The whole system (receiver plus 5 wireless transmitters) set us back just over £200 including delivery! 

A couple of us have added our own earphones (Shure SE215 and Soundmagic PL50) but it still ends up being very inexpensive. 

We only put vocals through our system but I'm sure it would cope equally well with instruments and we're planning to try that soon.

I guess its suitability depends on how much abuse its likely to get as the cost has been kept low by making the whole lot out of plastic, but we thought it was a good way to get an introduction to IEM systems without spending too much.

Hey Rich, if you only put vocals through is there enough bleed to hear the rest of the band?
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    jesone said:
    Hey Rich, if you only put vocals through is there enough bleed to hear the rest of the band?

I normally tend to only have one ear in because the noise isolation with the Shure SE215's is really good and not enough sound would bleed through otherwise. I've been told by other band members that the Soundmagic earphones are a good compromise because they don't isolate sound quite as well as the Shures.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    edited November 2015

One trick you can do to help get some ambiance back is to buy a boundary mic like this :

Connect that into a spare channel on the desk, make sure it's FOH fader is never up and send a bit of it to everybody's aux send. I call it the vibe mic cos without it IEM's can leave you a bit isolated. Want more vibe, send a bit more of the vibe mic to your aux send

The reason I tend to use these rather than normal mics is because they work well on the floor where they don't pick up so much cymbal wash and they don't look like a mic to your average pissed up punter who might want to bellow a backing vocal into it :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers Danny, I'll grab one of those. Can't wait to try out your pedal mate.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Danny1969 said:
    If you play wired guitar though I do a £75 pedal that contains a nice IEM amp which combines you aux signal from the desk and your guitar signal into one cable. That will outperform any wireless unit in terms of noise and interference as it's obviously immune from those problems.
    @Danny1969 - Any more info, photos of your wired IEM boxes?
    Click here for my Trading Feedback